Adding products to colored plaster pool

BeachsideDDS

Mar 26, 2019
Solvang, CA
If I need to a add product (baking soda, muriatic acid, borax) to my pool with colored plaster, do I need to worry about dissolving these products in a bucket of water before adding to the pool, so as to avoid any “staining” to the plaster?

Most of those powders can be scattered over the pool deep end while the pump is on. liquid chlorine/bleach gets poured in front of a return in a thin stream to get carried away quickly. Keep the pump on to mix well.

With MA you *always* want to pour it in thin stream in front of a moving water return so it dilutes it almost immediately. Some folks do try diluting it in water first but that just increases chance of a misstep and problem. I always brush the walls and floor around the return when I've added MA so I know there is no pocket of it sitting around. Probably overkill on my part but its a minute of effort and I've burned off 1.5 calories doing so.

You don't want to dilute calcium as it heats up. Best to scatter it over deep end surface.

Salt needs to be brushed around to help it dissolve.

If any powder is seen on the water line brush it off into circulation.

Maddie :flower:

Here is what we use: Trouble Free Pool Note that you do not need to run out and buy all of it. Only get what you need at the time. Most of this can be bought at Target or Lowes.

Here is TFP's recommended levels: Trouble Free Pool these levels are based on solid science. You can find the many of the science papers in The Deep End if you care to read them.

Your plaster will last longer if you have the proper test kit and follow the above levels.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.