Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
We built our 9k pool last year and were advised to get an Ultratemp heater/chiller instead of a straight heater because I have dark plaster, it is a small pool they assumed I’d need to chill in the summer. Not the case. I want my pool to be heated as a hot tub, so around 100. The hp only raises temp about 1 degree/hr so I want to add a ng heater. Will this work in conjunction with the hp? Is it really an “add” or a replacement? Any suggestions on exactly which heater to get?

You can possibly hook up both with the assumption that you have room on your pad. It appears you want to use the heat pump to "cool" and you want the NG Heater to heat the 9k gal pool quickly. The larger the BTU rating the quicker it will heat but you also have to ensure that your gas meter can supply sufficient gas to the heater such as a 400BTU. Look at the tag on your gas meter to determine what that rating is. Maybe comeback with pictures of your existing pad as well.

Reactions: Js1994
I do have Intelliconnect for automation. The Ultratemp is connected only in the heat mode.
We are just now having gas brought to the house to run a new generator. I believe we are getting 1 million btu capacity to take care of all future changes...hot water heater, stove, pool heater.

Js,

The reason I asked about automation is because I suspect that the automation cannot be configured for both the HP as well as the NG heater at the same time..

That said, I don't have an IntelliCenter, nor a heater.. :mrgreen:

Let's see what @MyAZPool has to say...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Intelliconnect will only manage one heater. Through the firemans switch. As it sounds like the HP is not fitting your needs, why not sell it? I would suspect there is a good market for quality pool equipment in Texas right now.

Intelliconnect will only manage one heater. Through the firemans switch. As it sounds like the HP is not fitting your needs, why not sell it? I would suspect there is a good market for quality pool equipment in Texas right now.
I am considering looking into selling it. Although, I wonder if using the ultratemp to more so maintain the temp all the time and using the ng heater whenever I’m going to use the pool would be more cost efficient? I have free electricity from 8pm-8am now and run the ultra all night. I have no idea how much $ or how fast ng heater will work.

Although, I wonder if using the ultratemp to more so maintain the temp all the time and using the ng heater whenever I’m going to use the pool would be more cost efficient
Best of both worlds IMHO. Use the NG to fire it up much quicker and then turn off the gas guzzling NG and let the power sipping HP maintain it.

I wonder if using the ultratemp to more so maintain the temp all the time and using the ng heater whenever I’m going to use the pool would be more cost efficient?
You would just have to decide which one you want the Intelliconnect to control. You would then have to manually turn on/off the other one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your problem might be getting any kind of heater right now. If you decide to sell that heat pump and are in the Dallas area, let me know. Still not sure we can find anyone to fix ours post freeze. Our PB says he normally puts them in where the water hits the heat pump first and then the gas heater and then to the SWG/chlorinator and to the pool. We've talked about adding a NG heater, as we've learned we (me and kids and grandkids!) want WARM water and don't always have enough lead time for it to get warm enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.