Adding heater and upgrading to varible speed pump

bp460

Jun 16, 2009
Chicagoland
Pool Size
After 12 years of enjoying our "vintage" pool, I am finally adding a NG heater this year (Raypak P-R406A-EN-X). It is going to be a surprise for my wife, 5 year old and 3 year old! I figure this will be a good time to reconfigure my equipment and also upgrade to a variable speed pump.

The only potential limitation with my setup is the 1.5" suction and return lines... it might be a moot point, but I do plan to use 2" plumbing where possible. I am using my existing pump size as a guide, although I do understand it is OK to go larger, as I will be operating at lower speeds the majority of the time, albeit fast enough for the heater to operate properly.

So far I am considering:

Pentair SuperFlo VS 342001 (1.5 hp)
Pentair 011028 IntelliFlo VS (3 hp)
Hayward - W3SP3202VSP (1.85 hp)
Hayward - W3SP2303VSP (1.65 hp)

What is the best size pump for my set up? Which one has the best user interface?

Also, I was planning to add a fireman switch for the heater, but now that I am planning to go with a VS speed pump, I will be eliminating the mechanical timer. Is there a simple way to address this with a VS pump. How vital is a fireman switch for the longevity of a heater? keep in mind, I want to keep my system as simple as possible.

Thank you,
Brad

How do you plan to integrate the heater and pump control? Simply have the heater on at all times and when the pump runs (at sufficient rate to close the pressure switch) the heater will run? Have you considered adding something like the Pentair Intelliconnect? $300 and will control the pump (Intelliflo only), heater, and a SWCG if you wisely add one.

Initially, I had planned to add the heater with my existing pump and utilize the mechanical timer with added fireman switch. If I upgrade to a VS pump, I figured I would just leave the heater on at all times like you mentioned to get things started. I am trying to plan for future upgrades and It sounds like an Intelliflo VS pump would be a good "future proof" choice. I will look into the Pentair Intelliconnect. What SWCG would you recommend?

If you would be installing a Pentair automation system, then the IC60 from Pentair.
If you will be managing operations of the equipment without automation, a Circupool RJ60 SWCG is best. You would use your existing timer to control the power to the SWCG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.