Adding drops

BPool18

Jun 14, 2018
Cincinnati, OH
Quick question that I’ve been wondering for some time:

When testing FC, will the results be skewed if you add multiple drops before swirling the solution to test if it goes clear (to save time)? For example, let’s say that I know my pool is usually around FC 14. Knowing this, when doing a daily test, can I add 10 drops (because I know it will be above 5)...do my first mix...then drop individually and swirl?

Or would this lead to different results than if you were to mix the solution after each individual drop?

i know the easiest way would be to get the speedstir, but I’m just curious on the question above.

Should be no difference as long as sufficiently stirred.

I do the same as you. I expect to be at or above 4ppm after 24 hours so testing a 10ml water sample I will add 6 drops then mix fully. One there I add single drops to find my end point. If for any reason you pass your end point early then you need to start over. Watching the intensity of the red gives you a good idea when getting close.

I expected no difference, yet I and others have surprisingly seen a results difference on free chlorine tests using a k-2006c by a couple of drops, using a manual swirl, meaning add say 10 drops of R-0870, swirl and then add the last few drops while swirling in between for chlorine levels around 2.4 - 2.6 with CYA present, but well under 20. So one way results in say, 14 drops, and the other 15-16 drops. We felt that the swirl was sufficient for full mixing, but that is of course subjective. We saw that using the bulk add resulted in a couple more drops required, which aligns with insufficient mixing, but did feel the sample was well mixed. Although the difference is minor, we sometimes use the value obtained to calibrate a Chemtrol PPM sensor, so its nice to be accurate.

I'd be interested if anyone else sees the same variation, and any insight as to whether there is a chemical reason to add slowly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.