LauraHardesty

Jun 29, 2021
Tulsa, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Happy Start of Pool Season! I just uncovered my pool recently and am trying to get the gunk cleaned out. I have recently learned that it is possible to add DE to a sand filter. My sand filter is only 12" which works great for my 14' pool. I really want to add DE, but with my filter being so much smaller than most i don't want to add too much or too little! I read the instructional post on here and while most people start with 1/4 cup I'm thinking maybe i should start with 1/8th ? Also my pressure gauge is different than most and is only numbered from 0-4 PSI, so i don't know if i want the pressure in my filter to rise a whole 1 PSI - seems like alot for my filter. my gut says maybe it should only go up .5 PSI.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance :)

Worth a shot as long as you have a skimmer and can backwash it out if it raises your pressure too much. Keep a close eye on it.
Let us know if you do it and how it works out for you.

Maddie :flower:
Well, It worked out about like I imagined.. started with a 1/8 cup and went up to 1/4, raised PSI by .5, then i had to backwash within 1-2 hours... and repeat over and over and over ! lol I only had time to do about 4 rounds, but today i can see the bottom of my pool!

A sand filter alone will clear a healthy pool. Do you have any idea what was causing the cloudiness?
Not specifically, but i didn't cover it over the winter, i just drained it. So needless to say it just got super dirty and full of leaves. I scooped out most of the leaves and debris, and between the sand filter and my robot vacuum it's mostly clean now except for the cloudiness.

Not specifically, but i didn't cover it over the winter, i just drained it. So needless to say it just got super dirty and full of leaves. I scooped out most of the leaves and debris, and between the sand filter and my robot vacuum it's mostly clean now except for the cloudiness.
Are (have) you testing levels and adding chlorine? :)

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Are (have) you testing levels and adding chlorine? :)
Yes, twice daily and keeping Chlorine at high level. I am relying on test strips right now until i can get a test kit. I never got one last summer (bought pool in late June) because i never got algae or anything in it. I found this forum about the time i got the pool and learned how to keep it clean :)

Yes, twice daily and keeping Chlorine at high level. I am relying on test strips right now until i can get a test kit. I never got one last summer (bought pool in late June) because i never got algae or anything in it. I found this forum about the time i got the pool and learned how to keep it clean :)
I would recommend getting at least an HTH 5-way liquid drops test kit ASAP, but the investment in the full TF-100 kit is absolutely worth it!
Unforunately, test stips do not offer the accuracy liquid drop testing does, and the ease of pool care with knowing "exactly" what is in the water.

What type of chlorine are you using? (liquid or tablets?)

I would recommend getting at least an HTH 5-way liquid drops test kit ASAP, but the investment in the full TF-100 kit is absolutely worth it!
Unforunately, test stips do not offer the accuracy liquid drop testing does, and the ease of pool care with knowing "exactly" what is in the water.

What type of chlorine are you using? (liquid or tablets?)
I absolutely will. I'm using liquid chlorine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I absolutely will. I'm using liquid chlorine
Awesome!

Also you will need the FAS-DPD chlorine test (included in the TF test kit). It uses a powder & liquid reagent to show your chlorine level to within 0.5 (it can even show levels within ~ 0.2, but that level of accuracy is rarely needed)

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.