Adding Cyanuric Acid to Pool

Jun 7, 2011
This forum has been so helpful to me over the past decade, I figured that maybe I could return the favor.

Each year I open my pool my cyanuric acid levels are at zero. Following the advice of the forum, I typically put it in a sock and either put it in the skimmer basket or next to a jet. It is such a pain because it always turns into a rock and I have to mess with it for the next couple of days trying to get it to disperse.

I know how some people here feel about adding CYA directly to the skimmer. A couple of months ago, I bought the pouches that you can throw into the skimmer and it was really easy. I didn't have to worry about pouring it into one of my old socks and making a mess. But with all of the chemical shortage, our local pool store had no acid at all. I had to go to Home Depot and buy supplies there. I was running low on socks so I tried to find an alternative. I ended up in the paint aisle next to the strainer bags. I bought a 2 pack for about $2.50. I got home and poured my acid into the 1 gallon strainer bag and set it into my skimmer. It worked okay, not great.

Then came the aha moment. It is a paint strainer bag with elastic. I can take out the stem of the skimmer, wrap it around the outside of the skimmer basket, and just pour my CYA directly into the skimmer without having to worry about it clogging my pipes or destroying my filter. I was able to pour out the amount that I needed, and I got the full flow of the water that was going through the skimmer basket. I didn't get the hard rock lump of CYA that I normally get.

I hope this might help others that find adding CYA as big a hassle as I do.

Last edited:
My favorite is a mesh bag from an aquarium store. Make a quick funnel out of paper and pour the CYA in. The bags have a nice draw string to close them and then just hang in front of return. Always have given it a squeeze every hour or so and never had any clumping. Usually gone in a few hours if you squeeze it enough.

Have a picture?
I use hair nets on my skimmers and have poured it in there and let it dissolve. Just don’t do a lot at one time
These fit perfectly over my skimmer baskets. I tried taking a skimmer basket out, pouring it, and then placing it back in, but the CYA tried to float out. If I left the basket in place and poured the CYA slowly in, the suction kept in place. CYA was gone in a couple of hours, no more squeezing.

PXL_20210714_003337681.jpgPXL_20210714_003408006.jpgPXL_20210714_003425440.jpg

These fit perfectly over my skimmer baskets. I tried taking a skimmer basket out, pouring it, and then placing it back in, but the CYA tried to float out. If I left the basket in place and poured the CYA slowly in, the suction kept in place. CYA was gone in a couple of hours, no more squeezing.

View attachment 354827View attachment 354828View attachment 354829
I have to look for those to catch beetles next year. Last week I was dumping out hundreds of them every day or so. Most of them got stuck in the skimmer but a bunch made it through to my filter basket.

I have to look for those to catch beetles next year. Last week I was dumping out hundreds of them every day or so. Most of them got stuck in the skimmer but a bunch made it through to my filter basket.

Yeah, there were quite a few june bugs in there before I took the picture. I imagine if I left the light on for a couple of nights, it would make a pretty nice june bug trap and solve my grub issue.

View attachment 354827View attachment 354828View attachment 354829
Do not put CYA in the skimmer. It is acidic, and can be corrosive to your equipment. Better to put the CYA in a sock dangled in front of a return, as it will be diluted once it reaches the skimmer and your equipment.

Do not put CYA in the skimmer. It is acidic, and can be corrosive to your equipment. Better to put the CYA in a sock dangled in front of a return, as it will be diluted once it reaches the skimmer and your equipment.

Then you better inform the administrators to change their website since it states you can place a sock in the skimmer basket.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

To head off the next reply, it states put the CYA in a sock and place it it the skimmer basket. Now if I placed the CYA in a skimmer sock and put a twist tie around the opening, and then placed it in the skimmer basket, it would be all right. But if I reached into the basket to remove the twist tie and place the sock around the basket, I would be out of compliance based on your reply.

To head off the next reply, it states put the CYA in a sock and place it it the skimmer basket. Now if I placed the CYA in a skimmer sock and put a twist tie around the opening, and then placed it in the skimmer basket, it would be all right. But if I reached into the basket to remove the twist tie and place the sock around the basket, I would be out of compliance based on your reply.
My reply simply states to put the CYA in a sock in front of a return. Read again, my friend.

My reply simply states to put the CYA in a sock in front of a return. Read again, my friend.

I did read your reply. You started by saying "Do not put CYA in the skimmer." when replying to gopokes65's post where he stated he put a skimmer sock in the basket and poured the CYA into the sock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.