Adding CYA, panty hose and skimmer, what NOT TO DO!

Janhillatx

Silver Supporter
Jun 11, 2017
Cedar creek tx
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I added CYA using the panty hose in front of skimmer basket. I got side tracked and emptied the basket, at the same time dislodged the pantyhose. There was about a softball size ball of CYA left in the hose. The skimmer sucked the ball and hose into the return and lodged itself such that water supply was cut off to the pump.

I clamped the end of the pantyhose I could reach above the skimmer lid and let it sit there over night.

This morning, I turned on the skimmer only (to get max strength) and it sucked the ball of cya out the toe of the panty hose and allowed the chemicals to head to the filter. I was standing at the filter basket so I was able to witness the puff of CYA blow by.

I tried last night to push things down the skimmer return to break up the clog, but there must be a bunch of 45's below the skimmer. I was not able to get anywhere with it.

Hope this helps someone else. BOTTOM LINE, do not let a lose sock with chemicals get anywhere near that return, or you will risk a clog.:eek:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.