Adding CYA after new pool fill

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
We had our pool liner replaced, new water put in. Currently the CYA is zero, and we have been advised to add stabilizer. According to the Calculator here, it says to add 132 oz by weight. That is a lot. Will this damage the new liner at all if we use the sock method? (My husband is concerned because it is an acid) And since it has to be run 24 hours in a row after adding, should I add it all at once (not sure I can fit that much into 2 socks?)

Any advice welcome...

Renee

Put the cya in a sock and hang it off of a broomstick near a return. Or you can put it in the skimmer (as long as it doesn't block the water) and keep your pump on 24/7 until it is all dissolved. Either method is approved and neither will hurt your liner as long as the sock isn't laying against it.

I like to hang mine on a piece or two of pool noodle and let it float around. If you make the noodle an "x" with big rubber bands or string you can hang the sock in the middle and it won't be able to touch the pool sides.

Maddie :flower:

That amount of CYA is actually only enough to get you to about 30. It won't mess with the chemistry much unless your pH and TA are at the low end of normal. It's mildly acidic.

If it won't all fit in one sock, use two. If they won't fit in the skimmer without blocking flow, hand 'em in front of a return somehow. If the pump is too noisy all night, tie 'em to something like an empty chlorine jug or a pool noodle. The important thing is not to pour it down the skimmer and don't scatter it on the surface. In the skimmer just runs the risk of it forming a clod and blocking flow, plus it's acidic and a pile of dry acid next to the internals on the filter isn't a good idea. Granules on the pool floor is asking for white freckles. But other than that, whatever works best for you. Some ideas

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.