Adding chlorine to a closed pool

pb4uswim

Jul 23, 2020
Michigan
We had a very nice warm fall so far but tomorrow the bottom drops out and it gets cold here. I have some chlorine left over (two gallons) that I was thinking of adding to the pool which I closed about a month ago at slam level. Probably over kill, but I figured a little extra won’t hurt. Problem is how do I do it given that the pump is obviously off. Can I just dump it in or do I need to mix it somehow? If so, how and how much? I could pretty easily put a brush on a pole and move the water a bit as I pour the chlorine in, but is that enough or, even necessary?

Can I just dump it in or do I need to mix it somehow? If so, how and how much? I could pretty easily put a brush on a pole and move the water a bit as I pour the chlorine in, but is that enough or, even necessary?
If you are closed, you are closed. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in Ohio and my water, after going below 60, has not risen back up. I have found, the more I mess around, the more stuff gets messed up. :)

If you are determined to do it, throw your robot in the pool. Turn it on. Put a sump pump in with nothing attached (so it will just push water "up"). Slowly pour the chlorine into the pool (pencil stream) right over the sump pump. It will mix it locally. Let the robot run. When it stops, run a second cycle. The pool water will be fairly circulated.

Reactions: Newdude
I close at SLAM level and, using a solid cover, always open to FC levels above the min in spring. You should be fine.

I close at SLAM level and, using a solid cover, always open to FC levels above the min in spring. You should be fine.
One goal was more about getting rid of the chlorine so I didn’t have to store it over winter. However, I did close last year at slam level and did have some algae when I opened this year. Nothing serious, but apparently, the chlorine didn’t last the entire winter.

Adding a little isn’t likely to be a big deal with no circulation. Obviously if the water freezes that won’t work but I would worry about adding a quart or two depending on pool size.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.