Adding chlorine after muriatic acid timing.

Scarecrow

May 5, 2018
Baytown Texas
In the past seems like holding my ph closer to 7.2-7.5 the chlorine holds better. In the past at 8+ a gal brings it down to about 7-7.5. We are expecting thunderstorms this afternoon. Rain always seems to raise ph. Thanks any other thoughts?

Palpatine

Bronze Supporter
Sep 3, 2019
West Hills, CA
In the past seems like holding my ph closer to 7.2-7.5 the chlorine holds better
I'm not sure that's a thing... but I'm no expert.

I was just curious cause when I add less than a quarter gallon is affects my PH pretty significantly... like from 8+ to 7.4 - 7.6. My pool is not too much bigger than your pool. But my TA is really low so maybe that has something to do with it. You might want to try the Pool Math app. It's free and should provide some good guidance on the amounts of chems to add to get to desired levels.

Anyways, I'm curious what your PH is now with that much acid added.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
@Scarecrow you should use the PoolMath app to calculate your additions instead of winging it. A gallon seems like a lot to me. By using the old pool math app for a 23K pool only 40 oz is needed to drop the pH from 8.2 to 7.5 (using 20 baum). I would check and see what your alkalinity is now after a massive acid addition like that.

Last edited:

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
With pump running you can retest after 30 minutes for FC and pH. You do not show what pump you have, so you might brush the pool during that 30 minutes to completely mix it up.

proavia

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Feb 6, 2015
Chandler AZ
What test kit are you using?
Can you post a current full set of test results from your own test kit?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Water temp

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Post a picture of the pump and motor. Any identifying labels, etc. Same with filter. We can help you get more detail in your signature. Add the test kit to the signature.