Hickory, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Brand new fiberglass pool. Calcium is testing at 100 from whatever chlorine treatments the PB was dumping in it before I took over. I haven't added anything with calcium myself yet.

Do I need to add calcium beyond that 100 that's in it? I know it says recommended level is 220 for fiberglass, but do I need that NOW or should I just let it build over time with the occasional chlorine puck? (the pucks DO have calcium? or is just CYA the pucks add? They dropped off pucks in a clear baggie so I can't check what the heck is in what I have)

Most fiberglass manufacturers do recommend a CH of 200 to keep from staining.
The pucks add chlorine and CYA to your water. For calcium, you would use Calcium Hypochlorite. Normally granular and called 'Shock'.

Shock is chlorine, right? So adding shock to get the calcium up instead of liquid chlorine for that time period? Or am I just dumping a ton in to get it up and letting it burn off?

I need to go read don't i. Sigh

You can use cal hypo in place of liquid chlorine to raise your CH. It will take some time, but with a FG pool it is not urgent.
Just be sure the cal hypo granules are fully dissolved. If they rest on the pool surface, they could stain or create small scale bumps.

Reactions: JenfromNC
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.