CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have to add about 45 lbs of Boric Acid Granules to my pool. Is there any special way to add them? It'd be impossible to add them all at once using the sock method.

I saw in the guide that you sprinkle it around the pool and brush in between, but wasn't sure if that was for powder or granules.

For granular boric acid just pour it in & brush. It dissolves pretty quickly. Powder tends to sit on top of the water instead of dissolving so using granular is recommended.
Did you get 100% boric acid from the pool store? Asking because generally pool stores sell Proteam Supreme Plus which is Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate and it will significantly raise your TA & ph while adding borates to the water so it is recommended to stick with boric acid instead.
Use PoolMath to determine all the effects each chem will have on the water before hand.

For granular boric acid just pour it in & brush. It dissolves pretty quickly. Powder tends to sit on top of the water instead of dissolving so using granular is recommended.
Did you get 100% boric acid from the pool store? Asking because generally pool stores sell Proteam Supreme Plus which is Sodium Tetraborate Pentahydrate and it will significantly raise your TA & ph while adding borates to the water so it is recommended to stick with boric acid instead.
Use PoolMath to determine all the effects each chem will have on the water before hand.
The stuff from the pool store is 98% boric acid and 2% sodium carbonate anhydrous "Ph Balance Plus" from Hot Springs. Didn't realize it wasn't 100% boric acid. I bought 30 lbs. of it thinking I can use it for my borates. Will this stuff affect TA/PH?

Last edited:
That’s soda ash/washing soda.
If I did the math right it’s only about .6 lbs of the 30 lb weight which will likely only have a very small effect on ph & ta
Here’s what PoolMath says it will do
👇
482100BA-45F8-4F22-A46D-F345CDC08656.jpeg
& it will only undershoot your intended borate goal by 1ppm which is inconsequential.

I just looked the product up & it’s quite expensive (as most branded pool store products are) compared to plain granular boric acid from duda diesel

Reactions: markayash
That’s soda ash/washing soda.
If I did the math right it’s only about .6 lbs of the 30 lb weight which will likely only have a very small effect on ph & ta
Here’s what PoolMath says it will do
👇
View attachment 453569
& it will only undershoot your intended borate goal by 1ppm which is inconsequential.
Thanks for checking the math on that. I was able to add it all although it took about an hour. I added the Duda first, but doubt it makes a difference. The consistency on the Hot Springs product was practically identical to Duda.

I just looked the product up & it’s quite expensive (as most branded pool store products are) compared to plain granular boric acid from duda diesel
Surprisingly, my local pool store gave it to me for significantly cheaper than Duda so that's why I went with that. Doesn't look like they move that product much and I bought the lot. It was much easier to distribute because they came in 3lb containers.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I usually just buy the 50# bucket from duda when they have free shipping.
I bought powdered once because it was cheaper- it was horrible to deal with.
Most of the pool places around me don’t even know what borates are!

I usually just buy the 50# bucket from duda when they have free shipping.
I bought powdered once because it was cheaper- it was horrible to deal with.
Most of the pool places around me don’t even know what borates are!
Oh nice! When do they offer free shipping? I’m hoping borates will solve the Ph drift in my pool. About 4-5 gallons of acid and a few months to get my TA down to 50-60.

Different sized containers have free shipping sometimes & not others so when it gets closer to opening time (which is when I usually test & replenish borates) I try to check & see what would be the most cost effective. Sometimes it’s a wash, as generally the more you buy the cheaper it is even if you have to pay shipping.

Reactions: calisoldier
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.