Sep 12, 2007
Georgia
I want to add borates to my pool. My numbers are:

FC 7
CC 0
TC 7
Ph 7.4
TA 120

Question, how low do I need to get the Total Alk. down to before adding borax and acid?

Hotrod30

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
Dec 22, 2007
Central New York
My numbers are close to yours; so I'll wait to see what kind of an answer you get. I was going to add borates to the pool until I read about adding salt to the pool. Now I'm not sure what I will add to make the water feel better and have a better look to it.

sefrlw

Mar 25, 2008
Wake Forest, NC
the only diff in your numbers and mine were that my TA was 90-100. I added the borax and acid following the directions to a T and nothing changed. I don't think you need to worry about the TA. But yeah wait for the experts to be sure.

JasonLion

LifeTime Supporter
Platinum Supporter
TFP Expert
May 7, 2007
Silver Spring, MD
The appropriate TA level before adding borates has a great deal to do with how much of an issue you have with PH rising from aeration. If you don't have a SWG, spa, fountain, or waterfall and don't currently have issues with PH rising, then TA can be at any reasonable level.

If you are adding borates to try and get PH rises under control then it is important to lower TA first, because that will be significantly more difficult once you are the borates. In this case you want to lower TA down fairly low, 50-80 depending on your CYA level and amount of aeration, at the lower end of that range with low CYA and high aeration.

LuLu

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 12, 2007
Georgia
I was considering adding borates as an algae preventative. So far I haven't had any problems w/ rising ph even after running a fountain (via one of my returns) all day. I have been gradually lowering my TA the past few days. It started at 130 and the last time I tested was down to 120. I've purchased 12 boxes of borax and 3.5 gal of acid but was not sure about the beginning TA.