Adding Acid Everyday To Stay Under 8.0 PH. Should TA go Up Or Down?

RANDY M

Silver Supporter
Jul 19, 2010
Santa Clarita, CA
I'm adding 20 oz. 31% Muriatic Acid everyday. Plaster is only 2 months old and I realize the PH could rise for a long time but I'd like to try to see if I can stabilize it a little. I bought some Baking Soda at Costco (13.5 lbs for $6.59-good deal compared to other places) to bump it up but after reading some more posts maybe I should lower it?
If lowered should I add calcium & try to keep PH at 7.8 to keep the CSI a little positive? I read a little positive might help stabilize the PH on newer plaster.

Thanks for any advice.

FC - 6.5
CC - 0
PH - 7.8
TA - 80
CYA - 35
CH - 270

20 oz of 31.45% lowers your pH by 0.16 with a TA of 80. Why are using such a tight range? I would suggest you add acid when pH reaches 8 and lower it to 7.6. That should get a few days or more between additions.

You could lower your TA but you are right, until your CH rises from evaporation and adding fill water, I would keep the TA were it is. It may come down a little over time as you keep pH controlled.

Baking soda raises TA which will place pressure on your pH to rise faster.

- - - Updated - - -

How much are you running your spillover spa? That is creating aeration when running which makes pH rise. Limit the spillover as much as possible.

Pool math is showing .33 for 20 oz unless I'm doing something wrong. If I skip a day now it will drop over .6 I think.
I don't run the spillover. Just circulate the spa water to refresh the chemicals.
My pool jets break the water tension on high speed which is for about 2 hours a day for chemical mix & vacuum. Then it's low speed.
Could that bump the PH much?
Thanks for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. The .33 is with PH at 8.0. It's .26 at 7.8 PH.

I used Effects of Adding chemicals. Normally pretty good at those ranges of numbers.

The jets breaking the surface definitely aerates.

Good luck.

An older method that is in line with TFP may help you. Try increasing the CH to 350 and see if the pH stabilises a bit better.

Again in line with TFP try letting the pH drift out to 7.8 and see if this is easier to manage.

The idea is the higher CH level is added to a new plaster pool to assist in reducing migration of calcium carbonate from the pool plaster. Generally we used to hold CH and pH up here for 6 months or so and then let it reduce to a more neutral setting.

Sorry, but I do not suggest this member raise their CH with chemicals. Very soon they will have a high CH issue due to evaporation and the fill water they are using. So adding chemicals to increase CH is not advisable.

Pool math is showing .33 for 20 oz unless I'm doing something wrong. If I skip a day now it will drop over .6 I think.

Sorry. The .33 is with PH at 8.0. It's .26 at 7.8 PH.

Doing what Marty suggests shows adding 105oz when the PH is at 8.0 to lower to 7.6

2018-08-03_1829.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.