Nordy-que

Apr 2, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The last few days I've been adding a small amount of acid every day. I get pH to 7.6, by next morning it's back up to 7.9. TA was 70 yesterday - we got a ton of rain a few days ago, and plaster is new. I expected to be chasing pH with new plaster for a while, but didn't expect every day. Thoughts, recommendations? Is this to be expected?

With new plaster that is normal. Hopefully that will improve over the course of the next month or two, but for now you'll have to babysit the pool a little more than usual to keep the pH from getting out of hand (high). If you have any forms of aeration (i.e. spill-over, waterfall, bubblers) be sure to minimize those items as much as possible as aeration will also increase pH.

With new plaster that is normal. Hopefully that will improve over the course of the next month or two, but for now you'll have to babysit the pool a little more than usual to keep the pH from getting out of hand (high). If you have any forms of aeration (i.e. spill-over, waterfall, bubblers) be sure to minimize those items as much as possible as aeration will also increase pH.
Thanks - this helps. Yes, I do have a spillway, I'll try to turn it down some, but it's the only source of circulation for the spa so have to keep it on at least some.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thanks - this helps. Yes, I do have a spillway, I'll try to turn it down some, but it's the only source of circulation for the spa so have to keep it on at least some.

I automated my spa spillover valve so I could adjust its run times. Even at the hottest part of our swim season I only need to run the spillover twice a day for 45mins each. It’s never an issue. Pool builders always tell owners that the spa needs continuous water flow but it’s just not true. Cutting down on aeration from that source will help with your pH struggles. Also, keep your TA on the low side. I would suggest you target a TA of 60ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.