Adding above recommended chlorine

tdub4

Sep 13, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
If the pool calc is suggesting the FC should be 5, if I add more (liquid chlorine) than the suggested amount (as an example to 7-8) is that wasted chlorine? In other words, can I expect that to not be anymore effective than the level at 5?

I ask because in Texas, with the heat we have now, if I add enough to run it to 7-8, the next morning I am at 3 to 3.6ppm. Seems like losing 4-5 a day is a lot, but maybe not with this heat. Did an overnight test last week and it held in range overnight, will do another tonight.

Should I consider testing/adding more midday as well? Currently, add in the morning and then do maintenance/test/add 24 hours later (next morning).

Last edited:
The chart is a start point suggestion. You live in a particularly hot climate and need some tweaking that we wouldn't in 3/4 of the country. Many go to 50 or even 60 on the CYA to help retain the chlorine. Go slowly if you do, of course, only 10 at a time, because it's an experiment outside of the norm.

To answer your question, chlorine is effective across the board at any level above minimum. You need to dose today so that you are *well* above minimum when it is testing time tomorrow. You want to finish the cycle at low target value, not minimum. If you have been seeing a pattern of 5 fc loss a day, then you go over high target level as needed to fall back into target, but not below.

Chlorine does burn off as a %, so the higher the FC, thr faster it gets depleted, but at the levels in question its really not much. It becomes real evident in the 20s, but anything under a teen isn't very noticeable.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yeah, you'll probably see a noticeable decrease in chlorine consumption if you bump cya to 60. I'm in Phoenix and I keep CYA at 60. I lose 3-3.5ppm of FC per day when i don't have my shade sail up over the pool.

I’m in Houston. I run at 60 cya. The cya/FC charts tells me target 7-9, minimum 5. I add chlorine each nite to achieve 11 FC. Then even if lose up to 5 during the blazing direct sun zero shade day, I’m still above minimum. Do not flirt with minimum. Over target is fine.

From another thread about fast chlorine burn off, the feedback was to raise my CYA. In researching products to use, I am seeing several options, but not seeing a consensus or clear winner for what I should use on the forum - Clorox product?, Leslies, liquid, granular, etc. Probably just need to raise 10-20 (currently at 40).

Any products that stand out from rest? Thanks!

The best value is granulated cyanuric acid. It can be found at Walmart, Home Depot, Amazon, etc.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just bumped my CYA yesterday to 70 (hopefully!) I have a SWCG and the recommended CYA level is a little higher than a pool with LC. (I thought I was already at 70, but repeated tests showed 50-60, so hopefully it was safe to raise it up a notch. I HATE the dot test!)

DFW forecast is sunny and over 100 for the next 10 days, so I wanted the added protection. My FC had actually risen slightly over the past couple of days since I hadn’t altered my SWCG output. Now that we’re heading back into triple digits, it should be in the right place.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.