Dana Point, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My son has a one year old 20K gallon pool with a Jandy Aqualink control center and a Nature-2, Fusion TriChlor tab chlorinator. Unfortunately, his weekly pool service company has been dropping trichlor tabs like candy into the feeder for one year now without considering climbing CYA levels, now measuring over 220ppm after only 12 months. The service guy is keeping chlorine levels over 8ppm to (in his words) "keep algae at bay."

When I built my pool 12 years ago, I had exactly the same issue with my pool service company. My CYA level was over 300ppm and the service company was keeping my chlorine levels near 10ppm - so I fired them, drained and refilled the pool - switched to a salt system in year #2 - and now service the pool myself and have never looked back. - all is good.

I'm recommending my son do the same thing (switch to salt) unless someone can convince me it's worth keeping the Nature-2 tab feeder. From what Nature-2 claims, you should be able to keep chlorine levels at .5 ppm with the mineralizer active once the pool is drained and CYA is brought back down to normal levels. So here are my questions:
  1. Do we keep the Nature2 Fusion tab feeder or switch to salt? IMO, switching to salt and maintaining stabilizer levels myself has been much easier, but perhaps with the right person monitoring the pool, this system can work just fine.
  2. If NO to above, which salt system would work best?
    1. Nature2 FusionSoft (I assume drops right into the same spot as the outgoing Nature2 Fusion with no plumbing changes).
    2. Jandy Aquapure PLC1400
    3. Other?
  3. His Aqualink control panel does not have the power supply and LCD board required for a salt generator - so is the Jandy Aquapure with PureLink a better fit, or does the Nature2 FusionSoft use the same power supply?
  4. For both salt generators above it appears from what I can gather on the net - that one must purchase BOTH the salt cell AND a power supply. The Jandy Aquapure PLC1400 sells for approx $995. I assume one must fork out another $995 (approx) for a power supply?
Sorry the multitude of questions, but hoping someone with more knowledge may be able to help.

Cheers and thanks . .
MB

I'd recommend the PLC1400 if you're already using aqualink. Do you know what model of power center he has? Does it have the breakers in it? There's several options, and as you mentioned, one of the 2 purelink power centers is the best option. That way you only have 1 box.

You'll either want the 6613AP (without breaker panel) or 6614AP (with breaker panel)

The Jandy Aquapure or the Nature2 Fusion both use the same Jandy cell. Either will work fine. The Nature2 Fusion costs less than the Aquapure since Jandy thinks they will be selling you mineral cells. If you get the Nature2 Fusion do not install the Mineral Cell.

@PoolGate has the Nature2 Fusion system.

Reactions: PoolGate
I'd recommend the PLC1400 if you're already using aqualink. Do you know what model of power center he has? Does it have the breakers in it? There's several options, and as you mentioned, one of the 2 purelink power centers is the best option. That way you only have 1 box.

You'll either want the 6613AP (without breaker panel) or 6614AP (with breaker panel)

His Aqualink has breakers below the control panel. I’d have to take a second look to see how many breaker slots are currently populated.

Thanks so much for the info!

The Jandy Aquapure or the Nature2 Fusion both use the same Jandy cell. Either will work fine. The Nature2 Fusion costs less than the Aquapure since Jandy thinks they will be selling you mineral cells. If you get the Nature2 Fusion do not install the Mineral Cell.

@PoolGate has the Nature2 Fusion system.
Sounds like the Fusion Soft is a cheaper and simpler option. It looks like it can be swapped into the previous chlorinator position with any plumbing modifications.

If you get the Nature2 Fusion do not install the Mineral Cell.
Is that because it offers no benefit in a salt system with a gunite/pebbletec pool?

Thank you!

His Aqualink has breakers below the control panel. I’d have to take a second look to see how many breaker slots are currently populated.

Thanks so much for the info!
If it has breakers, you'll want to get the 6614AP power center. It's a direct swap for what he has and has the controller and power supply for the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.