Adding a flow switch

Steve33

Oct 23, 2021
Australia
I want to add a low flow switch to my SWG system in case water flow stops and chlorine builds up.
The SWG has the pump plugged into it. There doesn't seem to be a way of adding a flow switch override to the SWG.
Is there a simple way of adding a flow switch controller before the SWG so that the SWG plugs into the controller.
I don't need or want to pay for anything fancy with Bluetooth or timer etc, just a controller for the flow switch which will in turn switch off the SWG/Pump.
Thanks

Hi Steve
Most SWCG sold in Australia already have a flow sensor built into the Cell and this is used to detect gas build up and low flow within the cell.
What type of Chlorinator do you have now and can you add your equipment details to your signature.

Hi mate,
It's a CrystalChlor RP/EC Models | Crystal Aquatic SystemsCrystal Aquatic Systems
Made in 'Straya.
I have seen a build up of chlorine in the cell when there is no flow (air in system or cleaner hose comes apart).
I don't think there is flow sensor in the cell but I hope I'm wrong. http://www.crystalclearaus.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/RP_EC_Manual.pdf

The manual only mentions that the cell only seems to detect if the pump is on, not the actual water flow. The pump can be plugged into the SWG and on (it doesn't seem to have run dry switching) even when there is no water flow.

chlor.png

This seems to mean that the cell has no low flow protection of it's own.

Hi Steve
Most SWCG sold in Australia already have a flow sensor built into the Cell and this is used to detect gas build up and low flow within the cell.
What type of Chlorinator do you have now and can you add your equipment details to your signature.

Last edited:
Steve
The chlorinator only supplies power to the Cell when it turns the pump output on.
I still believe there is a gas sensor in the Cell housing that should drop off the cell output power when gas is in the cell.
If you turn off the Cell power switch do you see the same issue?

If you turn off the Cell power switch do you see the same issue?
No because the cell is off. But manual switching isn't going to help, if that's what you mean?
Rather than a flow sensor, I think there may be a gas sensor in the cell. I just read that in Oz all SWG's have to be supplied with one or the other. There is no paddle type flow sensor so there must be one for gas.

Last edited:
No because the cell is off. But manual switching isn't going to help, if that's what you mean?
I was wondering if the air in the cell still appears when the Cell switch is off to see if the air in the cell is coming from somewhere else. Does your chlorinator have the cell On Off switch like shown in the manual?
The Gas trap sensors are used to determine if there is adequate flow in the cell. What happens when you backwash your Sand filter? Does the cell still output for a bit, does the needle on your chlorinator drop down to Low output?

I was wondering if the air in the cell still appears when the Cell switch is off to see if the air in the cell is coming from somewhere else. Does your chlorinator have the cell On Off switch like shown in the manual?
The Gas trap sensors are used to determine if there is adequate flow in the cell. What happens when you backwash your Sand filter? Does the cell still output for a bit, does the needle on your chlorinator drop down to Low output?
It's not air in the cell, it's a build up of white gas when there is no water flow (pump and cell on) which I assume is chlorine. From what I read the gas sensor is better than the flow paddle type (which from experience with Intex system I used to have, they can corrode and get stuck in the open position....not good).
Yes it has the cell on/off switch so you can run the pump without the chlorinator. The two chlorinators in the signature are identical, made by the CrystalChlor people for Pool Pro....the Pool Pro is cheaper.
I don't have my cell on when I backwash so have no info on that but I will give it a go to see what happens. I just took the cell out to clean and there is a prong thingy on the cell which must be the gas probe. I don't understand why the instructions make a big thing about gas build up in the absence of the pump plugged in; it seems that the gas probe is there to turn the cell off whatever the cause of no/low flow.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.