Adding a dedicated vacuum suction port above the waterline?

I have just finished my pool refurbishment and thanks to everyone on here it has been very smooth sailing so far keeping everything balanced.

I only have a single skimmer and no main drain so just one 2 inch suction line going back to the pump. I use a Hayward Poolvergnuegen*2 wheel suction cleaner and that requires adjusting the suction so that it travels the right speed and only climbs a certain distance up the walls (otherwise is sucks in air and makes a huge noise then the pump looses prime). Since I only have the single suction line, the only way I can do this is with a bypass leak valve thing that allows a certain amount of water into the vacuum hose after the vacuum, hence reducing the flow through the actual vacuum itself.

Anyway, long story short, it is a pain having to use this because it sucks in leaves, falls off the hose and is just a nuisance.

So I was debating adding one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VU8O5I/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
above the waterline that I could plumb back to the pump with a 3 way valve to adjust the flow between the vacuum and skimmer. I have concrete coping around three side of the pool but am still in the process of finishing a wooden deck around the 4th side so I could build it in quite easily.

Would that be okay adding something like that above the waterline? Obviously it would always have air in it so everytime it turned the pump might loose prime briefly (but I could limit it to only about 16 inches of pipe above water level). Will it seal well enough for when the vacuum isn't plugged in?

Good idea or bad idea?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That wall fitting is designed for use below the waterline so you might have to seal it with a rubber plug as the normal spring loaded lid will allow some air to leak past while the pump is running with the cleaner not connected. If you plug it immediately each time you remove the sweep hose it might not be too bad considering you have few options. I almost never remove my suction side Navigator cleaner as there is rarely more than my wife and I in the pool at one time and that takes no effort to leave it connected and ready to work each night.

The pros here will tell you to save your money, sell the suction side cleaner and then get a robot cleaner like the Doheny Discovery.

Ozzy,

Here is a pic of what I did a while back before I installed a robot. The valve allows you to adjust the flow between the skimmer input and the vacuum, so that you can have the vacuum running as fast as possible but without starving the pump.

Vacuum Port.jpg

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Jimrahbe's idea is likely more functional than the dedicated suction line but, BY FAR, biting the bullet and getting a robot is the best solution of all.

If it's in the budget, you won't regret that robot.

I just switched to a pressure side cleaner - but when I had a suction side cleaner (the Great White) it used a suction side regulator to control how much suction came through the vacuum.
It looked something like this https://www.yourpoolhq.com/hayward-...54B1D0818FEC&gclid=CNiIv5a179ECFYVahgodbbwHsw
This regulator is installed below the water level (the regulator valve could be inserted into suction pipe opening below skimmer basket where you would plug in your vacuum hose) so then you just open the valve on the side to let more water by-pass the vacuum.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone. Sounds like it probably isn't a good idea to go with my proposal if it could be awkward to get it to seal. The main reason for doing it is so that my wife and kids can more easily remove and replace the vacuum.

Jim, your mod looks like a great idea. I will give that a go first since it is so easy to implement!

I have definitely considered a robot...the problem is the suction side cleaner does such a good job keeping the pool clean that it is hard to justify so much money when the only benefit will be ease of use....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.