Added salt and shock - now pool green?

Jan 13, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Hello,

I'm moving back to a salt system due to the price of CL being so high. So today I added the salt to prepare. A couple hours later I decided to go ahead and shock the pool as well (3 bags of the 6-in-1 Clorox brand in 35,000 gal pool).

I also threw in the robot cleaner to help mix it all up (and looked like the salt had some dirt in it). A few hours later, the pool looks green?

What's that all about?

Plaster with the bits in it for color. about 9 years old.

Thanks!

What brand salt did you use?
We don't recommend using "shock" - especially any "6-in-1" stuff. What are the ingredients of the shock you used?

How have u been chlorinating the pool before now? If it’s been lots of products like the xtra blue (tabs or powder) then u may have alot of copper already in the water & this bit just pushed u over the edge. Exchanging the water with fresh is the only way to remove the copper.

Also 3#’s of dichlor in your large pool really isn’t enough to get u to shock level even if your cya is quite low - FC/CYA Levels
29929B86-F43B-4C54-915E-327AE462E31F.png
Can u post some test results?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't think you will find copper is the issue....it rarely is and it precipitates out onto pool surfaces usually as a dark blue almost permanent stain. I have never heard of copper turning pool water green.

It's just guesswork for all of us because you don't post test results but I still believe it is iron in your pool water turning the pool green and the solution is to let the FC reduce to the point until the iron dissolves back into solution.

Do you refill your pool from a well?

So after the partial drain/refill, then had to do it again because the splash ic60 said salt at 5200 which made no sense (now it says 3780 - but pool test 1000 different - what gives?). Here's the numbers:
Free Chlorine 2.12
Total Chlorine 2.21
pH 7.6
TA 101 *TA adjusted due to the effect of CyA on tested TA.
Calcium Hardness 458
CyA 94
Iron 0.1
Copper 0.3
Phosphates 623 (why on refill, I guess the public water source has a lot of Phosphates)
Salt 2783

What I don't understand is why the salt from the pool house says 2783 and the Splash IC60 ranges from 3600 when you first push the button then goes up to about 38XX or 39XX ?

The swg needs to be kept happy but it’s readout is not necessarily accurate.
Depending upon the method the ps used to test your salt level it can be within 200ppm +/- accuracy or 500ppm +/-accuracy.
I recommend getting your own kit (k2006 or tf100 & k1766 salt) & testing your own water Test Kits Compared so u can maintain Recommended Levels
Pool store results can be wildly unreliable. The one set of tests that we actually recommend doing at the pool store is metals. Your copper level is still quite elevated. Likely due to the use of copper containing products.
As is your cya if it is anywhere near accurate.
Both of these require water replacement to lower.
Also, is this salt cell new?

There were a few reports about not being able to access some areas of the forum. See if clearing browser history and/or cache helps to access above links.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.