Added muriatic acid and chlorine together

Post hoc ergo propter hoc

I figured I'd throw a little latin in here----

Just because the pool looked cloudy after your "error" doesn't mean you error caused it to go cloudy. Cloudy is one of the first signs of an algae outbreak. You need more chlorine, now. Not solid "shock", but liquid chlorine. If you have a Menards close they sell it as 10% pool chlorine.

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

Please don't go to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

So, welcome to TFP!!

Reactions: beautifulpool
And, to your "error". We generally say to wait 15 minutes between additions of chemicals, but that is in an overabundance of caution. Unless you held a bottle of acid in one hand and chlorine in the other and added them to the pool together you are fine. Just teh time to put one bottle away and get the other will allow the forst chemical time to disperse to teh point of being safe. We just like to be extra safe, don't do that......

Thank god, ive been adding 2 gallons of regular clorox tho lately for my pool shock to my 17-18000 gallon pool bc my stabibilizer is a little on the high side, last i had it checked it was 80, but ive had to add a little water since then too

Thank god, ive been adding 2 gallons of regular clorox tho lately for my pool shock to my 17-18000 gallon pool bc my stabibilizer is a little on the high side, last i had it checked it was 80, but ive had to add a little water since then too
You really need your own test kit.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

When I bought my house with a pool I went to several pool stores. They all told me my stabilizer was in the 80-100 range. When I saw the light and got my test kit I found my stabilizer was really around 250 (CYA tests above 100 are just a guess, not very specific contrary to what the pool store says). With a CYA of 250 I had to keep my chlorine level at around 20 just to keep algae away.

I still use my own strips, i did figure out how big of a rip off the stores are, i never buy anything there anymore except some equipment. I dont have my own kit tho, i just have them test it monthly and use my strips daily.

Thank god, ive been adding 2 gallons of regular clorox tho ...

Look carefully at your bottles of Clorox bleach and see if the label says Cloromax Technology. If so it contains polymers, is not suitable for pools, and will cause foaming in the water. Find a source of pure liquid chlorine/bleach with no additives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test strips might do if you are in maintenance mode. They are useless for clean up mode. Once you have algae you need to have one of the 2 recommended test kits to successfully get rid of it.
Cloudy water is usually a hint of growing algae.
The strips are more wrong than even close to right. Better to use an OTO only in maintenance mode than strips.

If strips were reliable in any way, we'd be able to at least guess a little at what people should do with their pools when they come here for help. Even pool store results aren't good enough to give any specific advice. We shouldn't perpetuate the myth that they should be anywhere but in the trash.

You really need your own test kit.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

When I bought my house with a pool I went to several pool stores. They all told me my stabilizer was in the 80-100 range. When I saw the light and got my test kit I found my stabilizer was really around 250 (CYA tests above 100 are just a guess, not very specific contrary to what the pool store says). With a CYA of 250 I had to keep my chlorine level at around 20 just to keep algae away.

Not only “free” they often pay the customer -offering a discount on items purchased-If/after you’ve allowed them to ‘test’ your water, and they can tell you what you ‘need’ to buy. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.