Added DE to sand filter

George D

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2017
Bellmore, NY
3 days ago, I added DE to the sand filter, per the instructions and the pressure increased 20% within 24 hours then I backwashed and rinsed.
Yesterday, I added more DE and the pressure only increased about 10% but the skimmers were not skimming well. Lots of debris on the top of the pool. So I did another backwash and rinse and the skimmers were back to normal, pulling debris.
Does this mean I need to keep adding DE and backwashing as soon as the skimmers aren't pulling in debris, regardless if the pressure gauge doesn't increase by 20%?

IMO the pressure gauges are worth the $10 that they are paid for. Have you pulled the top of the sand filter and looked at the actual residue? I am not a fan of adding anything to the sand filer - I have had additional problems with addition to my sand filter

Thank you for your informative replies. I will pay more attention to the skimmers. I also have the valve at about 75% skimmers, I have two and 25% main drain.
I deep cleaned the sand filter before opening this season. There may be more debris than usual because I didn't open the pool last year. Should I check the top of the filter again?
So fuggetabout adfing DE in the future?

I checked my sand filter earlier and found small sticks on the top of my sand filer, yeah that ain't no back wash. I have numerous "pool features" right now - just suggest that you pull the cap and look again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.