Add stairs to InGround pool

BEIT

Oct 31, 2021
Ilderton, Ontario
Hi there.. newbie here to this site and pool ownership. Have become the proud owner of a 14' x 28' Oval pool with liner and plastic coping (Hayward). It's single depth of about 4' and has above ground pool stairs which are submerged with 4 sandbags. Just closed the pool with the previous owners help and it all went fine, but I'm starting to think about the spring project. This pool was 100% installed and built by owner and I'm also planning my own pool automation (RaspBerry PI) so have the winter to plan. It's a Salt Water pool.

I'm looking to see if it's possible to dig at one of the round corners and replace the corner steel framing with an Inground set of stairs and can this be done without a full liner replacement. Hoping there is a way to remove the steel section and retrofit in the stairs and somehow the liner can be made to seal with the stairs newly inserted. The winter cover I'm hoping would then fit still the oval with possibly a cover over the stairs to keep the winter out.

I've been able to find photos of the stairs, but there are no instructions I've found on retrofitting them or more details on how they connect to the existing steel that makes up the pool shell. I don't really want to change the liner just to install stairs, but if that's necessary then I could potentially plan this if the liner should need replacing... trying to see how plausible it is before I give up on things. The pool was built and put into operation in 2015 so it's around 6 years old.

Thanks for any help / feedback in advance.

Attached photos of the current pool as well as the "sample" of the stairs I have in mind.

IMG_4194.JPGpool.jpgDoughboy-Step-20.jpg

You should wait that you need to replace the liner and do similar integrated steps like I did to mine. Look much more high end.
Have a look in my build Inground 1994 Pool Renovation

But to answer your question if you do the stairs in the picture you put without doing the 4th step in the concrete floor under the liner it might be possible to keep you current liner. That would involve
  • Dig a big hole where the stair will be
  • Cut the liner and metal wall
  • Install new wall bracket to support the wall and pour concrete the support them
  • Fit the stairs and bolt them with the metal wall
  • Put concrete sonotube to support the steps
  • Put back the sand

Off course I recommend to call some professional to evaluate the feasibility and do the job.

Reactions: BEIT
You should wait that you need to replace the liner and do similar integrated steps like I did to mine. Look much more high end.
Have a look in my build Inground 1994 Pool Renovation

But to answer your question if you do the stairs in the picture you put without doing the 4th step in the concrete floor under the liner it might be possible to keep you current liner. That would involve
  • Dig a big hole where the stair will be
  • Cut the liner and metal wall
  • Install new wall bracket to support the wall and pour concrete the support them
  • Fit the stairs and bolt them with the metal wall
  • Put concrete sonotube to support the steps
  • Put back the sand

Off course I recommend to call some professional to evaluate the feasibility and do the job.
Your project looks good.. Your bullets are what is floating around in my head about feasibility. My pool is a sand bottom so I guess that I'm trying to determine how would the stairs integrate with the existing metal panels and how would I cut and use the existing liner so that it still seals with the new stairs. I'm trying to envision that or else I should wait till my liner needs replacement. Still need to know how it would mechanically be connected and then support it behind (in the big hole).

I think the current winter cover would just hook into a cover that likely fits over the stairs (Step cover) so would not need replacing. Right now it's just me dreaming, but dreams can be made real.

Your project looks good.. Your bullets are what is floating around in my head about feasibility. My pool is a sand bottom so I guess that I'm trying to determine how would the stairs integrate with the existing metal panels and how would I cut and use the existing liner so that it still seals with the new stairs. I'm trying to envision that or else I should wait till my liner needs replacement. Still need to know how it would mechanically be connected and then support it behind (in the big hole).

I think the current winter cover would just hook into a cover that likely fits over the stairs (Step cover) so would not need replacing. Right now it's just me dreaming, but dreams can be made real.
It is ok to dream but I am sure you will need an expert have a look at your exact situation to give you some advice. Also it can cost 3-4k to retrofit those type of stair from a professional. As you can see in my build I had those type of stair and was quoted between 6 to 8k to replace them both. That is why I went with one set of integrated stair instead of 2 outside steps because it was basically the same price for a much better looking result.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.