Add Muriatic Acid Every Week?

I probably add about an inch of water a week. It's got an auto-chlorinator that uses tabs plus I add maybe half a gallon of liquid chlorine every other week.

It's got a waterfall that runs whenever the pool is filtering.

If you are using a tablet chlorinator it is very odd you have a rising pH. The tablets are very acidic and normally require you to raise the TA to keep the pH from crashing.

Yes, fairly new. The pool was completed this past March.

I recently (about a month ago) took a water sample to a local pool place and they found that the TA was too low and had me put some Alkalinity Up to raise it. At the time the pH was around 7.9 (a little high). Now the TA is in the correct range. But it really hasn't changed the pool's need to add acid every week to keep the pH down.

Last edited:
Could you fill out your signature with pool type, test kit you are using, whether you have a spa, etc. More detail the better. See ours for examples.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
AquaChek 7-Way Pool and Spa Water Test strips

I would not trust your data. I suspect your strips are faulty.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

AquaChek 7-Way Pool and Spa Water Test strips

I would not trust your data. I suspect your strips are faulty.

You need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

I sometimes have trouble reading the colors on the test strip so I usually double-check the result with the Pentair liquid test kit... its the one where you take a water sample and drip solutions into it and check the color. Then I do the acid demand test to tell me how much Muriatic acid to add.

And about every week I need to add a couple pints or so.

Just so you know.....on the scale of importance in testing the TA *Alkalinity* is the *least* important one to worry about. We know its tied into how your pH reacts but that's about it.

FYI- "Alkalinty Up" is nothing more than expensive Baking Soda. We buy ours in big bags cheap from the baking aisle at the grocery store.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.