Add Heater after Pool is Built - Possible - Cost - Gas Line

Apr 13, 2017
Little Elm Texas
I understand I would need to get bids, but I am curious (actually this is more for the wife, not me, she is wanting me to ask).

If we were to add a heater, any idea what the cost of that is? Our pool is now two years old.

The area around the pool is turf, which means underneath of it is packed rock.

If you look at the drawing below, the meter is on the other side of the house away from the equipment.
Obviously should have had this done when building, but wife said no. And of course now she is asking about it.
Does a gas line HAVE to connect to the meter?
Could they actually connect to the line in the garage that feeds the water heaters?

pool.JPG

Reactions: Gladius Nova
You might be able to extend the existing main in the house, it just depends upon the pipe size ( = capacity) of that line, access to it and the btu demand of the heater and the existing appliances. A good gas plumber should be able to tell you pretty quickly.

You also need to add the costs of some new valves and plumbing changes at the pad, physical space on the existing or a new pad, power to the heater.

A few variables there, but In our area you are probably in the ballpark 4-5K range with the equipment.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
You probably cannot extend an existing line as they are typically home-runned and sized for the appliance they are feeding. Pool heaters use a LOT of gas. My 400k heater uses more than both my gas furnaces, hot water heater, stove and 2 gas fireplaces COMBINED. Most likely your meter will need to be upgraded to be able to supply the demands of a pool heater. That part might be free. The line being run is all over the board. I had estimates on my build and one was $4500 just to run 75 feet of gas line. Prepare to be ripped off. If you know a plumber by all means call them!

Agree on talking to more than one plumber. My (new, I had to upsize) gas meter is 4 feet away from the heater. My (former) regular plumber quoted me north of $1000. I found someone on a local FB chat who has good Yelp reviews who quoted me 3-400.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.