Add bonding agent for coping mortar?

Hey y’all! I just the concrete poured up against the pool that the coping will be installed on and hope to be installing the coping in the next couple days. Should I add a bonding adhesive to the mortar mix or just use the mortar? Also, does the concrete I just poured need more than a day or so to cure before I install the coping? Thanks!!

332DAA74-D773-456D-95A7-E95146AFC270.jpegDB69D47D-777C-4768-A331-543F8A541732.jpeg

Attachments

• 5AD71405-9CBC-4DD2-8575-31852D3DB8C4.png
    5AD71405-9CBC-4DD2-8575-31852D3DB8C4.png
    373.5 KB · Views: 14
Doesnt need it. I would use type S mortar instead of N. Personally I only use modified thinset to stick coping but I'm in freeze country. Before you stick each one sponge off the bottoms to moisten them amd remove dust. If you are going to miter them instead of gapping them make all your cuts amd lay dry for large sections then go back and mud them

Thanks for the input!! Would the mortar mix below be what you guys would recommend using? In the specs on Lowe's website it states that it's a Polymer modified mortar and is ideal for pools. I'm going to use 1/4" or 3/8" tile spacers, it's a circle pool and I still have to play with the spacing to see if i can use a smaller spacer in the front and a larger spacer in the back and get an even cap for the angle.

How long should i let the concrete cure prior to installing the coping? I'm not sure if it matters but it is always hot and dry during the daytime out in West Texas!

1592363882529.png

That will work its rated exterior. You can lay on fresh concrete 24hr dry period is fine. Dont sweat spacers in front and behind. With a curved pool you eyeball them. If you gap them just use a spacer on either the front or back depending on curve. Personally I dont like the gap look I'm OCD I miter all coping for even joints. Its alot of work on a curved pool. For a rookie a bunch of cardboard templates with varying pie shapes helps to lay it out. I usually do cantilever concrete on curved pools its actually cheaper amd faster in the end

Thanks! To be honest i'm not sure what type of stone it is. There is a Stone Quarry just a few miles from the house and they have a "Bone Orchard" that is extra stone from projects or stone that was never shipped out or picked up. My wife and i were going thought it one day looking for idea's on how to make our partially buried AGP and IGP and came across this coping, so we picked it up at a very discounted price! (TexaStone Quarries: Products)

Reactions: Aquaman7

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.