Active 30 acting up

GaryParr

Aug 21, 2020
Rhode Island
So, my dolphin active 30 was outside today when an unexpected shower came through. The robot was on the stand, it was under the eves, and nothing was plugged in so I didn't think anything of it. Just dropped it in the pool though and it started running the moment it was plugged in. Phone app said 100% done, but won't finish until 1 AM. Weird. I unplugged and waited a few minutes, plugged it back in and same thing. I was able to stop this phantom clean cycle from the app and start a normal cycle which now shows the correct 2 hour finish time, but something ain't right. Anyone experience anything like this?

I have not.. did the brain/ power supply get wet? they are not water proof and should be covered.. I think they can handle some water but not much.. I got the cover just to be safe :)

The brains were under the eves, so while there was some rain exposure it was not overly much. I know those things aren't waterproof, but I have a very hard time believing that a "made for outdoor use" component would be that susceptible to such a situation. Perhaps it was just some random rain drop that got blown sideways into just the right spot to land in just the right place to cause some signal cross-talk on the circuit board. Hopefully it didn't actually do any permanent damage. I've got the thing in the garage right now... rain last night and forecast through Sunday, so plenty of time to dry out before I drop it back in the water on Monday to see what it does.

Reactions: cowboycasey
I have the Active30(Rosie) too since June and sometimes, when first starting up I'll get the finish at 1:00am for a minute or so and then she will correct herself and give me the accurate finish time and %. I think you're OK. Did you name it?:oops: Maybe it's mad at you for not naming it. To determine if it's male/female, turn upside down and look for.....(well, you know)

@SecoSteve, thanks for making me feel better about that 1AM thing. Curious though, does Rosie sometimes start a cycle the moment you plug her in?

As for name, we have a Roomba inside that my girls decided to call Sargent Sammy so this little guy was given the moniker Captain Carl.

@SecoSteve, thanks for making me feel better about that 1AM thing. Curious though, does Rosie sometimes start a cycle the moment you plug her in?

As for name, we have a Roomba inside that my girls decided to call Sargent Sammy so this little guy was given the moniker Captain Carl.
She always starts a cycle as soon as I plug her in. That's the one "flaw" that sometimes I don't like. Last weekend, I wanted to do only a floor clean, but the last cycle was a full wall/floor clean and I had to cancel the cycle and then change to floor clean. I'll have to do the same again, now that I want a full cycle. Most times, though, it's all good to just plug in and let her do her thing.

That one flaw is the best thing in life.. get an Alexa or google power plug and program it to turn on 3 or 4 days a week... turns your cleaner into a weekly expensive cleaner :)

• Haha
Reactions: GaryParr
What I'd like to do is mount Carl's brains to the wall next to the automation under some kind of waterproof cover like you see on outdoor outlets. I'd then find some way to reel in the cord without having to disconnect it so the only "moving parts" of the operation become taking Carl in and out of the water.

That's interesting because I don't remember mine ever doing that until this recent run in with the rain. Do you remember if Rosie ever had her brains get wet?
Just a couple raindrops and some hose overspray from rinsing. Just started with salt the last month and now I'm paranoid that salt water will not be kind to her. That may be the only "flaw" with TFP, reading others problems with their robots and thinking it's gonna happen to me. But, I'll take it as this forum has made pool ownership Awesome!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mine just starting a cleaning cycle on it's own ( Active 30i ) one time kind of odd. If you are using your phone to control the bot you might try restarting your phone or refreshing the app. Mine almost a year old and fine in saltwater, and the rain hit the brains more than once I do have the caddy and cover sometimes you forget. I would think any pool related device should be able to a little rain.

Reactions: GaryParr
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.