Ack! Long-time TFP with problem! Have to use pucks...

Sandra B

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
Tulsa, OK
...and don't know how!

I have to leave today to take care of an ill parent for a 2-3 weeks, about 6 hours drive away. The pool was all ready (yesterday) so I went out this morning to do a last check of the equipment pad. The SWG is throwing a code 170, which means a problem with the front panel. It's Sunday, 4th of July weekend, in the hot south, so no chance of getting this fixed before I have to leave. So......I need some pucks :(

I've never used them.

I want to use cal-hypo, I think. My CYA is 80 so no room there. My calcium is a bit on the low side, at 230, so I have some room.

I had planned to have a friend use granular PH Down to adjust the PH a couple of times (easier than using my MA for someone who doesn't have a pool). I don't think she would be comfortable pouring in bleach, though that would be ideal. I was comfortable "flying blind" for a couple of weeks because my pool maintenance is a piece of cake (thanks TFP!). Questions:

If I can find cal-hypo pucks at Leslie's or Walmart, is the best thing just to put them in a floater and ask her to add pucks to the floater once or twice a week? The alternative is cal-hypo granular shock, in the little bags, and I could have her toss some in.

Second question: how much????? My CYA is on the high side (darn, I should have taken care of that this week, I meant to!), so I need 8 ppm chlorine. How do I know how long these pucks/shock will last? Since I have a SWG, I have no idea what my daily usage is. The SWG is set at 40% and runs 12 hrs/day. Pump is 1.5. Too many variables for someone in a hurry to leave town to figure out. How do I turn that knowledge into the amount of chlorine I need? I'd be happy just to know there is something in there, all days, so maybe just keep three pucks in the floater and have her add more when needed?

Does Cal-hypo increase/decrease PH? I've read that the pucks do, but the shock does not.

Thanks so much for any help you can give....I'm desperate!

Sandra

Hi Sandra! :wave: Panic mode = 100% huh? Well, you have options, but it depends on what you have available. Your pool is balanced for a SWG, but it's operation seems questionable with that code error, so you might find yourself treating the pool as a non-SWG with a high CYA. As such, I would do everything I could to ask friend to help if possible. Keep it simple for them. Increase FC with about 1/2 gallon of regular 8.25% bleach per day. You can also use some Cal-Hypo bags if your CH isn't too high. Maybe a bag every couple days or so. Depending on your typical rate of pH increase, some muriatic acid or pH- would be in order. If you have to use pucks, yes - place them in a floater. How long they last I can't say for sure. But if your friend visits the house every 2-3 days it's easy to check and restock. Not sure about cal-hypo tabs, but as you know, you don't have much room for trichlor or dichlor tabs (CYA).

Now if you think the SWG is still working, and it's just a panel error, then you should be okay. I'm not familiar with those codes, so perhaps someone else will reply before you leave. But have some bleach near the back door for a friend just in case. Maybe leave them simple instructions on how to test FC and pH? They could call you as well?

I also has been a long time TFP person, and thought I would try out pucks in case I needed to go on vacation. I also needed to add CYA anyway. My experience was after three days, the chlorine was too low, and the pH too high. They didn't work at all. Plus the pucks are really irritating to the skin when handling them. You need gloves.

I concur with Texas Splash. Have your friend dump in a half gallon bleach a day. It only takes 30 seconds, and most people have handled bleach anyway. You might also run your pH on the low side just before you leave.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.