LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2014
Highland Village, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is there an acid dosing system that can operate as a standalone device? I currently have an Astral 35E SWG which is working great. I run it at 20% for about 20 hours per day. What I would like to do is automate or semi-automate my acid dosing. I currently check my ph and Cl each morning but after 24 years I am getting wary of manually adding the acid each day. I had a discussion with Pentair but they were non-committal on the Intelli ph. Any suggestions? By the way, my pool control system is iAqualink.

I go through less than a gallon per month of acid.
Cl - 6.4
ph - 7.5
CH -250
CYA = 90 (was 40 until I added yesterday)
Salt - 5510 (AStral 35 E requires salt level to be 4000-6000ppm)
TA=100

Mike,

Just use a relay in your automaton to turn on a Stenner or ipH for x minutes a day...

I though about getting the Hayward version of the Acid pump, but I don't find adding acid once or twice a week a big deal.. I try to keep my pH at 7.8.. The lower you try to keep it, the more acid it takes.. I also find that I need to lower my TA to 50 once or twice a year..

Thanks,

Jim R.

With a TA of 100 that's encouraging the pH to rise. Have you considered dropping the TA and seeing if that doesn't slow down the need for frequent acid additions?

Jim, never tried lowering the TA to 50 but that appears to be a good idea. I have received quotes on adding an acid dosing system from both Pentair and Jandy (Fluidrol) dealers. The total installation quotes are about 3x equipment cost. Ouch!!

I did this with my Jandy system.

I bought the Pentair Acid Dispenser/Pump combo and wired it to one of my spare relays in my Jandy iAqualink control panel...I have a schedule to run it for 1 minute at a time to inject 5oz or so of acid whenever I need it...

This was a project I tackled last year thanks to a couple of prominent posters on this site who shared their installations and made it easy to follow: @Dirk and @bdavis466

Here is my thread on it

edit: Skip the first 2 pages to get to the real details Page 3

I did this with my Jandy system.

I bought the Pentair Acid Dispenser/Pump combo and wired it to one of my spare relays in my Jandy iAqualink control panel...I have a schedule to run it for 1 minute at a time to inject 5oz or so of acid whenever I need it...

This was a project I tackled last year thanks to a couple of prominent posters on this site who shared their installations and made it easy to follow: @Dirk and @bdavis466

Here is my thread on it
Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.