Accurate salt test needed.

scarob63

LifeTime Supporter
May 8, 2012
South Florida
Jandy was out replacing sensor in new unit. They asked me if the unit was calibrated as they did not bring their calibrator. So, if the unit needs to be calibrated what is the most accurate testing method for home use. Right now the unit reads 3.7g/l or 3700 ppm(mg/l). Aquacheck test strips read 3070ppm.

Received Taylor salt .... Thanks

Performed the following salt tests 3x

pH 7.5
FC 15 (just finished shocking pool)
CC 0
TA 70
CYA 80
CH 320
Temp 93

Aquacheck

Taylor

Aqapure sensor reads 3700

So, what is the real salinity? Jandy was out replacing sensor and did not have calibrator. I told them I would do it myself. Based on the previous tests what would you calibrate to. At 4000 ppm unit ***** off

Why not add 4.00 grams of kosher salt to 1 liter distilled water and use that as a 4,000 ppm NaCl standard solution. Dilute it as needed.

Also, for the Taylor salt test I find it easier to use a 20 mL sample, 2 drops of R-0630, then titrate. Each drop of titrant is worth 100 ppm NaCl, but the endpoint is easier to reach without going over (which is quite easy to do with this kit, you want salmon color, not brick (brick is the color you get when you mix 1 drop R-0630 and 1 drop R-0718).

Also, there is the salt content (NaCl) and the conductivity of the solution (which is anything added to the water that increases its ability to conduct electricity). The unit looks at that while the Taylor measures NaCl.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.