Accidentally sent DE into the pool

fletch1999

Apr 22, 2021
DFW
I backwashed my filter this evening and put about 5 pounds of DE into the skimmer. While still by the pool, my son came outside, so I asked him to turn the pump back on. I forgot that the push/pull valve was still in backwash mode. It wasn't until about 2 minutes later that I realized my mistake. When I put the valve back to filter mode and turned the pump back on, all of the DE blew back into the pool through the jets.

So my question is, now what? Do I let the pump continue running or shut it off and let the DE settle to the bottom?

I've seen several suggestions to turn the pump off for the evening, let the DE settle and then vacuum to waste. I've never vacuumed the pool before, but I think there's a vacuum in the shed from the previous owner., so I'm willing to give that a try if it's the right option. When vacuuming to waste, all of the articles tell you to "switch your multiport valve to the waste setting," but mine is a push/pull valve with just a filter/backwash mode. I'm not sure what the right answer is here.

Any recommendations? I've backwashed a hundred times in the past few years and this is the first time I've made this mistake.

Thanks.

Well it only took me 3 months of pool ownership to do the same thing. ;)

Instead of vacuuming I found it easier to brush the pool a few times a days while pump on to allow the filter to capture the DE from the pool. Took about 3-4 days of brushing 2-3 times a day for it to clear. Then I did one last backwash to ensure the correct amount of DE was in the system.

Well it only took me 3 months of pool ownership to do the same thing. ;)

Instead of vacuuming I found it easier to brush the pool a few times a days while pump on to allow the filter to capture the DE from the pool. Took about 3-4 days of brushing 2-3 times a day for it to clear. Then I did one last backwash to ensure the correct amount of DE was in the system.
This was the route I ended up taking. My pool builder happened to be coming by yesterday to look at my filter and he recommended the same thing -- brush frequently and keep the filter running to clean out the remaining DE. We took the filter apart yesterday, cleaned it (it was long overdue), and put it back together. Afterwards we recharged it with DE. I'm continuing to brush today and I can see less DE kicking up from the bottom of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.