Accidentally Added Urea to Pool

Brocktoon

May 28, 2020
New Hampshire
I bought a house in the fall that included an In ground pool (gunite) that hadn't been used in years. I drained , cleaned it and repaired some tiles. I then filled it with city water. I added what I thought was Calcium Chloride (ice melt I had on hand) to raise the Calcium Hardness. It turned out to be Urea Ice melt that my father had put in my Calcium Chloride bucket. It was probably 15 lbs. I figured it out when I added regular Calcium Hardness increaser from the pool store and it got very hot on mixing with water. THe ice melt I had on hand got freezing cold ( what urea does on dissolving ). So I now have the equivalent of hundreds of people peeing in the pool all day long. The water is now cloudy light green, and I tried shocking with liquid chlorine and my CC is very high (off the range) . It is retaining FC for a number of hours though. Should I continue shocking ? Or drain the pool and start over?

Welcome to TFP.

If water is cheap and draining is practical then starting with new water is the easiest path to a clear pool.

Otherwise it will take the SLAM Process over quiet a few days and lots of liquid chlorine.

What test kit do you have?

Welcome to TFP.

If water is cheap and draining is practical then starting with new water is the easiest path to a clear pool.

Otherwise it will take the SLAM Process over quiet a few days and lots of liquid chlorine.

What test kit do you have?

Thanks for the tip. The water here will probably cost about $200 to fill it up again. I guess the chemicals would probably cost $100 plus a number of days of time, I was just trying to avoid draining again.

Reactions: Brocktoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.