MA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi! Well, it took a few months but we finally had our first experience yesterday of some extras in our pool. Kids were playing, one swallowed a bit of water and then threw up. I evicted everyone then scooped out everything I could find and turned the filter back on.
Earlier that day my FC was a bit low (2ppm) so I had added 3 cups of liquid bleach and planned to add stabilizer at night (CYA was 50). Were in the midst of a heat wave, so extra sun, super warm water and extra swim time has changed our normal readings. I wasn't sure what the actual FC level was after the event, so I just turned the boost on my SWG on temporarily (I usually don't use it, but thought it would help slowly add some more chlorine until i took another reading). Went to take a reading this am and noticed that, conveniently the SWG shut off due to low flow. Water was a bit cloudy but otherwise normal. I vacuumed the pool and got the pump/SWG back up and running. A few hours later the water is much clearer and our readings were - CYA50, FC 4.5, ph 7.6. TA90
Here lies my question - what is the normal response to events like this (vomit, fecal, etc.)? SLAM and then follow with overnight tests? Or add a boat load of liquid bleach and close down pool temporarily? Is there a certain protocol? I'm sure this is just the first of many events given how young my kids are. I didn't find anything specific to this in PoolSchool although maybe I missed it. I'd love to get them back in there due to heat wave, however also want to make sure things are sanitary (I know chlorine kills most right away but risks of other things remains). Thank you!

After removing everything u can, Raising to slam level for your cya until cc’s are .5 or below is probably sufficient unless things get cloudy.
You don’t list cc’s so start there.
For daily fc maintenance-
You want to at least aim for target fc 🎯 not minimum.
If the swg doesn’t keep u there use liquid chlorine then set the swg to keep up. Repeat as necessary.
Also dose w/ liquid chlorine to higher than target 🎯 before parties etc. so u know u won’t fall below minimum.

After removing everything u can, Raising to slam level for your cya until cc’s are .5 or below is probably sufficient unless things get cloudy.
You don’t list cc’s so start there.
For daily fc maintenance-
You want to at least aim for target fc 🎯 not minimum.
If the swg doesn’t keep u there use liquid chlorine then set the swg to keep up. Repeat as necessary.
Also dose w/ liquid chlorine to higher than target 🎯 before parties etc. so u know u won’t fall below minimum.
CC was zero when I checked earlier today; sorry complete oversight when I omitted in original post! I'm thinking the bleach I added yesterday helped work through most of the stuff.
I've been trying SO hard to get to target/maximum FC - for awhile it was high - like >10ppm. So I reduced run time and now its just trying to find the sweet spot. Been adding liquid chlorine as supplement. I'm going to try to get CYA a bit higher (after getting FC to SLAM per above) to see if that helps maintain the FC levels better? Thank you so much for your input!

Reactions: Mdragger88
My choice would be to clean up as you did and use Clorox or LQ to double your FC level. I would give it an hour or so and then go swimming.

Chemistry wise, that is not a big event so the extra chlorine will quickly handle and remaining bacteria.
Thank you so much for your help. I'm going to get some liquid in there now to get the levels higher. Maybe we'll get them in there for a late afternoon swim :)

Just following up - added bleach last night and kept the filter running all night. just tested again and my FC is up to 10 (thinking it was a bit higher but lost some during sun today). CC is still 0. I feel better that its probably killed most of our 'extras' lol and will try to get it to SLAM level by adding more bleach tonight, and then performing precautionary OCLT as recommended above. Question though - when FC is >10, ph test is invalid correct? I tested just now when i did my FC and its high - hard to distinguish if its 7.8 or 8.0 - just checking that its okay to ignore this and swim? How soon does it drop after elevated FC levels? If I'm increasing FC again for SLAM I just want to make sure I know when to start testing that again. Prior to our 'event' ph remained at 7.6.

You guys are all great - thank you again!

Yes ph testing is invalid above 10ppm fc.
If ph is in the 7’s it should be fine - especially since it normally is quite stable at 7.6.
The sun will likely quickly reduce fc to below slam level tomorrow.
It is safe to swim w/ fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya so long as u can see the bottom of the pool.

Reactions: Manuel2022

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes ph testing is invalid above 10ppm fc.
If ph is in the 7’s it should be fine - especially since it normally is quite stable at 7.6.
The sun will likely quickly reduce fc to below slam level tomorrow.
It is safe to swim w/ fc anywhere between minimum & slam level for your cya so long as u can see the bottom of the pool.
Can definitely see the bottom - its crystal clear :)
My CYA is at 50. According to the Chlorine/CYA chart slam level would be 20, so I will aim to get up there tonight. But there is no minimum for CYA of 50 on the SWG chart, as it says below 60 not recommended.

I wouldn’t go below 3ppm
I keep my fc @ 10% of cya or higher - that way I don’t play kissy face with minimum.
Hahah! Thanks so much for your input. You've been a great help!
Next up I need to find a way to get my SWG to produce a bit more so I dont need as many manual additions except when expecting heavy use. Right now it seems to be barely keeping up.

Hahah! Thanks so much for your input. You've been a great help!
Next up I need to find a way to get my SWG to produce a bit more so I dont need as many manual additions except when expecting heavy use. Right now it seems to be barely keeping up.
If u pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test raise cya to 70 or so to protect the chlorine it produces from the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.