Perpetual summer

Silver Supporter
Feb 17, 2017
Ohio
Today we had our 2 grandkids and 2 of their friends over for a swim. The one friend 5 years old I guess you would call it an accident in the pool in the form of a loose bowel movement. :(:(:(:( Water got cloudy a bit and I got everybody out. I added some bleach and vacuumed. Water is circulating and looks better already. Almost to sparkling again. .......... anything else I should or could do? Fc @ 15

What is you CYA?
Likely you should raise the FC to shock level for your CYA at least .. maybe an OCLT too?

I am not sure what should be done to ensure any bacteria / viruses are killed. Will try to get someone to chime in.

CDC procedure for fecal incidents is to shock the pool for 24hours. Of course their shock level and what TFP teaches is a little different. I'd raise it to shock level for 48 hours.

Do you know if the child that had the bowel movement had any illness?

had my first similar event last weekend. ugh- disgusting. wasnt loose. made my wife fish out the nuggets (it was her niece) then i added a bunch of bleach and kept FC @ 20 for 24 hrs. I turned my SWG off and it slowly lowered over a few days. Turned SWG back on and all is well. Cleaned my filter cartriges too.

still creeps me out a bit though!

Haha, the baby Ruth....no this was soft almost liquid. It happened 2 days ago and it still disgusts me and creeps me out. Had the fc level elevated and slam level for 24 hrs. We have this sign hanging by pool. " we don't swim in your toilet so please don't pee in our pool" I guess I need another sign to be more specific.:scratch:

2 years ago we were at Great Wolf Lodge (a hotel with an indoor water park attached) and I saw a floater in the wave pool. It's a pretty big pool so I wasn't panicking. I got my kids out and alerted somebody, who got everybody else out. I don't know what their exact protocol is, but they closed it for at least 2 hours.

2 years ago we were at Great Wolf Lodge (a hotel with an indoor water park attached) and I saw a floater in the wave pool. It's a pretty big pool so I wasn't panicking. I got my kids out and alerted somebody, who got everybody else out. I don't know what their exact protocol is, but they closed it for at least 2 hours.

Yep I have seen that also at GWL (Williamsburg) also in the wave pool! This is part of the reason we are building our own pool! For anyone with kids, we all know what "swim diapers" are. Ugh!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2 hrs? What can they accomplish in 2 hr, except extract the biscuit.

I was on a cruise ship where this happened and they not only closed the pool and slammed but they also drained the water completely and refilled. (I'd asked them what was up.)

I'm liking the cruise ship trend to have separate kids and adult only pools, though truthfully, have to be pretty drunk to get into a non TFP pool at all anymore ;)

I was on a cruise ship where this happened and they not only closed the pool and slammed but they also drained the water completely and refilled. (I'd asked them what was up.)

I'm liking the cruise ship trend to have separate kids and adult only pools, though truthfully, have to be pretty drunk to get into a non TFP pool at all anymore ;)
They did not "SLAM" the pool ... They "shocked" it ;)

Been there a couple times, well trained lifeguards. Spoke with a manager once and they said next time I can absolutely tour the behind the scenes pool stuff and meet with the head pool guy and hear all about it. Can't wait to do that when we visit again.

Unless you have a bidet and everyone using your pool uses that bidet religiously, you will have trace amounts of fecal matter and urine in your pool.
99% of all pools worldwide share this, which is why you keep them chlorinated at the proper levels.
Yeah I bet finding a Baby Ruth is creepy.
Looking at it another way.
I live on the South Saskatchewan river, which supplies our city with fresh drinking water. There are over a million people living upstream from me that also draw water from this same river and dump treated and untreated (livestock) waste water into it. Our filtration plant sucks up the water, treats it then sends it out for general consumption. I have no fear of drinking water from the tap.

Ya, I had the chlorine elevated for two days and 24hrs at slam level, vacuum I guess again today. It just creeps me out...period. Water is clear and sparkly. I need to get this out of my head and just jump in. Haha I have gotten terrible with this TFP method. Nothing on the bottom, nothing floating on the surface, walls smooth and shiny... this forum has made me into an OCD freak..... ughhhhhh!!!

Ya, I had the chlorine elevated for two days and 24hrs at slam level, vacuum I guess again today. It just creeps me out...period. Water is clear and sparkly. I need to get this out of my head and just jump in. Haha I have gotten terrible with this TFP method. Nothing on the bottom, nothing floating on the surface, walls smooth and shiny... this forum has made me into an OCD freak..... ughhhhhh!!!

To ease your concerns ....

We decided to do a late afternoon swim with the kids two evenings ago. We were all swimming happily when I noticed something off in the deep end by the waterfall. Swam over and it was a dead mouse (baby packrat most likely). I jumped out, grabbed it with the skimmer pole and flinged it over the property wall. We went right on swimming. FC and CC never changed, pH is all good, SWG operating all within spec.

Everyone is just fine.

The accident happened, you responded appropriately and the water is fine. Go swim and stop obsessing over it. As I told a colleague of mine once that was overly obsessing about gross baby diaper duty before his first child was born - "No one in the history of mankind has ever died from touching baby poop. It's not toxic..."

You'll be fine, promise....

A friendly reminder that pool water is not drinking water, with or without a recent AFR (accidental fecal release). Many guest swimmer might think drinking pool water is fine, and perhaps a reminder, especially following AFR, could be helpful. If I'm confident in my CYA (retest if it has been a while), and I have raised FC to shock level according to [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], and have let water filter enough to inviting and clear - then we're swimming. The kill times are really awesome except crypto, which is only really a concern if the AFR person is sick, then .... even I might not swim for 2 days+ at shock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.