Above ground vacuum problems..

Billy Jr.

Apr 21, 2020
West TN
After being bugged for a while I put in a Intex 18 X 48 last summer for my daughter. I installed the Index 2100 GHP Sand Filter. Okay everything is great, except I can't get it to draw any dirt off of the floor of the pool. So I installed the Index 3000 GPh Sand Filter this spring with the 3/4 hp motor thinking that would solve my problem. Nope, it's not any better at all. I assume the pump is not strong enough to pump the water through the vacuum hose. I install a skimmer on the outside to the pool, that's how I'm connecting the hose to the pump. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need a bigger pump motor? Or is it something else? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have the 3,000 GPH Intex pump/sand filter combo and a Hayward skimmer. The suction I get off of it is very strong. In fact when the pump is on it is very difficult to remove the vacuum plate from the skimmer. If you can easily remove the vacuum plate from the skimmer when the pump is running then there is definitely a problem in the system some where. Either the vacuum plate is not sealing well to the skimmer, or the pump is not working properly (could be due to a number of things--not necessarily equipment failure). When you are trying this, what does the pump discharge back into the pool do? Is it a strong flow of water? Is there air bubbles? When you look into the clear pump cover--does it have air in it?

Reactions: Texas Splash
I have 2 ports and the skimmer. I have tried cutting off 1 and 2 and none, nothing seemed to help until this afternoon. I hooked everything up, shut off the 2 ports and shazam! I have vacuum, it's not what i would called strong, but it definitely worked as I was able to clean the bottom of the pool up pretty well. I want to thank everyone for the help, if I figure out what I did different I will posted it, might help someone else in the future. Thanks! 1 last question, I should be closing the other 2 ports, Correct?

You can keep any port(s) that have return water going into the pool open. But when vacuuming, you want only the suction of the pump coming through the skimmer and your hose/vacuum. Any other suction port should be closed with a valve. I have two suction locations in my pool and close the valve to one of them when vacuuming so all of my pump suction is coming through the skimmer/hose/vacuum.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.