Above ground upgrade working well but I have a few mysteries to solve

Quartermaster

Jul 11, 2021
Connecticut
Last two years I setup and enjoyed for the most part an Intex Easy-set 15x48 pool. The design flaw of the material used on the top ring, and the constant deflation during thunderstorms or other rapid temperature changes, and then having to refill the volume of water lost at least six times let me to upgrade to a Bestway's Steel Pro 15x48 this season.

I made the same 1.5 inch valve modifications to be able to use my Intex sand filter 3000gph, and added an Intex Deluxe Skimmer to the mix. I am 100% satisfied with the design, easy of set up and quality of the new pool so far. I am amazed how well the skimmer keeps the pool clean, having to vacuum about half as much as I did with the Easy-set pool and no skimmer.

So the mysteries I have are why the pool water in this configuration is so much warmer than the past two years, and why I can't use both suction ports with the skimmer. The pool is in the same location as the previous one so same amount of sunlight etc hits it. Same filter configuration and running times.

For the first I would say its hotter this summer here than last two but it is just the opposite. June had no 90 degree days and nights were in the 50's for the most part. Only since July have we had 90 degree days and relative lower humidity than is historically typical in New England. So why is the water approaching 85 degrees now? I run the pump mostly at night but I do not have any spray or fountain helping to chill the water. I am also not covering the pool by day as I did with the other pool. I primarily did that to try to keep the inflated ring out of direct sunlight. Any way other than adding cold water to chill the pool water down?

The skimmer does an amazing job but it needs 100% suction to really do the job. I would like to let some water flow from the other port as a safety in-case a large amount of leaves clogs the skimmer basket even though it seems to have a safety valve on the bottom so it never starves for water, or burns out the pump. Is there some magic ratio to have both ports working or do I just have to sacrifice the skimmer efficiency part of the time that the filter is on? I guess water is going through the filter either way but I think if I have two ports I should be able to use both especially with the size filter I have running.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Last two years I setup and enjoyed for the most part an Intex Easy-set 15x48 pool. The design flaw of the material used on the top ring, and the constant deflation during thunderstorms or other rapid temperature changes, and then having to refill the volume of water lost at least six times let me to upgrade to a Bestway's Steel Pro 15x48 this season.

I made the same 1.5 inch valve modifications to be able to use my Intex sand filter 3000gph, and added an Intex Deluxe Skimmer to the mix. I am 100% satisfied with the design, easy of set up and quality of the new pool so far. I am amazed how well the skimmer keeps the pool clean, having to vacuum about half as much as I did with the Easy-set pool and no skimmer.

So the mysteries I have are why the pool water in this configuration is so much warmer than the past two years, and why I can't use both suction ports with the skimmer. The pool is in the same location as the previous one so same amount of sunlight etc hits it. Same filter configuration and running times.

For the first I would say its hotter this summer here than last two but it is just the opposite. June had no 90 degree days and nights were in the 50's for the most part. Only since July have we had 90 degree days and relative lower humidity than is historically typical in New England. So why is the water approaching 85 degrees now? I run the pump mostly at night but I do not have any spray or fountain helping to chill the water. I am also not covering the pool by day as I did with the other pool. I primarily did that to try to keep the inflated ring out of direct sunlight. Any way other than adding cold water to chill the pool water down?

The skimmer does an amazing job but it needs 100% suction to really do the job. I would like to let some water flow from the other port as a safety in-case a large amount of leaves clogs the skimmer basket even though it seems to have a safety valve on the bottom so it never starves for water, or burns out the pump. Is there some magic ratio to have both ports working or do I just have to sacrifice the skimmer efficiency part of the time that the filter is on? I guess water is going through the filter either way but I think if I have two ports I should be able to use both especially with the size filter I have running.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

I don't have much input other than the largest filter and pump Intex makes is actually pretty weak.
That's why you need 100% of it to make the skimmer work decently.

If you had a Hayward 3/4HP pump and a decent size sand filter, it could easily operate a skimmer and a main drain.

Now, that said.......
I run a 1.5HP Hayward 2 speed pump and a 250 pound sand filter in low speed 24/7 and in my opinion it would be too weak to run more than just the skimmer in low speed. The only time I use high speed is for vacuuming and on a rare occasional when dumping chemicals in. Chances are your Intex filter setup is actually a bit stronger than mine is when it's running in low speed.

I make sure I check the skimmer basket every day and keep things clean the best I can. In the fall I have to empty the skimmer multiple times as well as use a net but I've yet to starve the pump of water

I guess my point is, stick with what you've got and use just the skimmer but if it was mine I'd be running it all day and night. My reasoning is everything you catch with the skimmer is less that will sink to the bottom and you can't do that if the pump is off. In my opinion, while the Intex filter setups aren't great, they do work well and they're impossible to beat for the cost.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.