Above ground salt water system

May 18, 2015
Brick, NJ
I am replacing my above ground pool this year with a new one. We are sinking this one in the ground about two and a half feet and decking around it. I became the "Walter White" of pool maintenance in my family thanks to TFP and had a crystal clear chlorine pool for many years. I was thinking of switching to a salt water system but the pool companies have informed me that I will lose my warranty if I do. They seem adamant that a salt water system will rust the pool in about 7 years. Others, not in the pool retail business, have said pool companies are just discouraging customers from salt water because they won't make any money in chemicals (not that I spent money in pool stores anyway!). Does anyone have experience with salt water and above ground, good or bad?

If by pool company you mean pool store, than yes they are biased against SWGs for any number of reasons.

If by pool company you mean the people who actually manufacturered the pool you may want to head the warning.

Time and Time again TFP has shown that there is very little if any difference between a traditional chlorine pool and a SWG pool.

Reactions: TerryTeeds
Most pools are already salt water pools in truth.
If the water has been treated with any chemicals almost all of them leave some residual salt. A pool a few years old can easily have 1000parts salt, and most salt water chlorinator only need about 2500-3500 parts.

Maddie :flower:

I am replacing my above ground pool this year with a new one. We are sinking this one in the ground about two and a half feet and decking around it. I became the "Walter White" of pool maintenance in my family thanks to TFP and had a crystal clear chlorine pool for many years. I was thinking of switching to a salt water system but the pool companies have informed me that I will lose my warranty if I do. They seem adamant that a salt water system will rust the pool in about 7 years. Others, not in the pool retail business, have said pool companies are just discouraging customers from salt water because they won't make any money in chemicals (not that I spent money in pool stores anyway!). Does anyone have experience with salt water and above ground, good or bad?
We use 2200ppm salt for comfort at this point (Summer Waves for 2 seasons (sold it, no issues) & this year a BestWay, don't know yet) :D

Our first pool was a 28' round inexpensive pool. It lasted about 5 years with a salt system. There was a tear in the liner which was repaired, but the salt ate away at the pool wall and it eventually came down. At our next home we went with a 27' advertised as being made for salt. We just sold that house after 5 years. The pool is definitely showing signs of salt damage (rust) around the bottom outside of the pool wall, and where water has splashed out from the skimmer basket. I'm no pool expert, but we love a salt pool, and to us it has been worth it, and we have learned along the way. We just moved into a house with an older in ground that we plan to replace with something bigger/deeper in a few years. I just bought a salt system for it and expect it not to last.

Salt water in a pool has little effect on corrosion rate of pool components. The management of the pH of the water is far more significant. When an above ground pool is located in an environment that is wet, humid, etc it will rust. They do not use the best metal for an above ground pool wall.

Our first pool was a 28' round inexpensive pool. It lasted about 5 years with a salt system. There was a tear in the liner which was repaired, but the salt ate away at the pool wall and it eventually came down. At our next home we went with a 27' advertised as being made for salt. We just sold that house after 5 years. The pool is definitely showing signs of salt damage (rust) around the bottom outside of the pool wall, and where water has splashed out from the skimmer basket. I'm no pool expert, but we love a salt pool, and to us it has been worth it, and we have learned along the way. We just moved into a house with an older in ground that we plan to replace with something bigger/deeper in a few years. I just bought a salt system for it and expect it not to last.
[/QU
We use 2200ppm salt for comfort at this point (Summer Waves for 2 seasons (sold it, no issues) & this year a BestWay, don't know yet) :D

Thank you LuciGo. I'm on the Jersey Shore so lots of humidity, salt, etc. We had an inexpensive above ground chlorine pool for 25 years and only had to replace the liner once in all that time. The pool came down when we elevated our home after Sandy and it was still in outstanding condition. I'm looking at the Doughboy Autumn Breeze now and I have an installer who said for an additional $995 we could have salt. But the retailer said they would void our warranty. Since we are sinking the pool into the ground a considerable depth and decking around it, it would be wildly inconvenient to dig it up and replace it in 5 years. Guess I'll suck it up and stick with chlorine to be on the safe side.

The salt level in a salt pool is relatively low and shouldn't cause any adverse issues. Typically pH has a greater effect on equipment and the pool itself. There are a significant number of non-salt pools that suffer from rust issues, unfortunately. That right there voids the argument that salt water causes premature deterioration.
If it nags on you, there are AGPs you can buy that are rated for SWG usage.
Based on your location, the pool will be exposed to salt in the atmosphere anyway, at a far greater concentration than the water inside the pool.

If you plan on using a SWG, make sure the owners manual warranty will cover any issues.
On my Doughboy, the manual says nothing, but they placed a separate piece of paper with the manual that states if a salt water system is used, all warranty is void.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To be honest, most above ground pool warranties are pretty much useless anyway. They are pro-rated based on the age of the pool, and they ship replacement parts at your expense. Having heavy items like a pool wall shipped is pretty expensive. I would call customer service for the pools I was interested in to see exactly what their replacement under warrant policy entails. Then you can decide whether it is worth risking the warranty to get the salt system.

If by pool company you mean pool store, than yes they are biased against SWGs for any number of reasons.

If by pool company you mean the people who actually manufacturered the pool you may want to head the warning.

Time and Time again TFP has shown that there is very little if any difference between a traditional chlorine pool and a SWG pool.
Decided to heed the warning. Thanks for your reply.

I agree that warranties are useless. We had rust after 2 years with a previous pool and they said they would send us a new wall but that shipping would be $650. Then we would have had to take it down and put it back up and a new liner, and by then might as well buy a new pool. We just managed the rust.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.