Above Ground Pool Corner Caps

DanKenney

Jun 9, 2020
Homer Glen, IL
Hi All,

We just installed an above ground pool and we are thinking of wrapping the entire structure in wood planking to give it a more natural look. In order to cover the top rail we were thinking about removing the corner caps entirely. I think these are just decorative and in no way structural since they just snap on. Is there any reason why we could not remove these permanently? Pictures attached.

Attachments

• 20200703_082616.jpg
    20200703_082616.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200703_082631.jpg
    20200703_082631.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200703_082620.jpg
    20200703_082620.jpg
    428.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200703_082645.jpg
    20200703_082645.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 16
I think I'd be hesitant to mess with the top rail. For one thing, you'd have water splashing in your wood (I assume you're thinking of making a wood top rail) and affecting your water chemistry and possibly being an uncleanable source of algae. Why not just cover the sides and leave the top rail as it is?

Reactions: DanKenney
Top rails are designed for a purpose.I thought about the boards and stain them.Seen a few that really look nice.Problem is with the molded top rail it comes down and covers your beaded hanger and helps keep it notched in to keep water out.With wood you cannot get it to come down low enough.Plus,you will fight algae buildup under the wood.

Reactions: DanKenney
I think I'd be hesitant to mess with the top rail. For one thing, you'd have water splashing in your wood (I assume you're thinking of making a wood top rail) and affecting your water chemistry and possibly being an uncleanable source of algae. Why not just cover the sides and leave the top rail as it is?
Good point. Unfortunately the top rail is white and we were hoping to have a more natural look. Perhaps I can order different colored rails from the pool company or have the rails professionally painted.

I thought about that, but I do not think they are metal. They look like they are made of some sort of composite resin or hard plastic. Do you think the Rustoleum would work on those? I was thinking of taking them in to an auto body shop to see what they could do with them.
Spray Paint will work just fine.There was a current thread where someone painted there top rails.Very nice and Resin is a lot easier to paint and stick than metal in my opinion

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.