Above Ground Issues...so many of them.

Kangleton

Jun 15, 2019
Kansas
Hello!
Let me first start by saying that the only two things I know about pools is that I’m good at floating in them, and drinking around them.

We bought a house in the country (Southeast Kansas) in December, and from day one, I’ve been so excited about having a pool.

However, after all the nonsense with this pool, it has done nothing but overwhelm me. Nevertheless, I’m committed at this point.

We’ve got a 24” Sand Filter, and a 1.5hp pump for our Coleman above ground. The pump is brand new (old one was shot), along with a new multiport valve handle (also broken). The previous homeowners purchased this system in 2017 (so says previous Doheny records), and was most likely used one summer, and then never used or taken care of again. I found some random accessories in and around the pool, but because I didn’t know what they were or how long ago they were used, they got tossed.

So, here I am, thinking I’ve finally got it all on the right track, but wait...Coleman secretly has it out for me.

The bottom of this pool is full of algae, dirt, random leaves, bugs, and I’m pretty sure I at one point scooped out some clothes. So, I bought this nifty vacuum head, the hose was already here, as well as a pole, and I’m thinking, “awesome. Gonna clean it out, gonna drink and swim”. Wrong.

The closest pool supply store is about 45 minutes, which I drove to this morning, to only hear that my only real option was to buy this $150 battery operated vacuum because of these dual inlets.

I’ve poured about 6 lbs of shock, an entire jug of some clarifier/algecide mixture, and started using this expensive contraption that I’m pretty sure was useless.

I am kind of at my wits end. I’m hoping the pool will be open and ready by September ??. I can post pictures, or whatever. I lm just desperately needing some good advice on this. How do I get it cleaned? What can I buy or do to help me use this manual vacuum? I’m talking simplest terms here. I just really need some help.

Hi, welcome to TFP! How large is your pool? If you can plug one of the inlets you should be able to insert the vacuum hose in the other one, then turn on the pump. Do the strainers on the inlets unscrew?

So, I’m not even sure. It’s big and round. That’s terrible, sorry. It looks like the inlet covers have screws in them to take off, maybe? We’ve had quite a bit of rain the last two nights, so I haven’t had the opportunity to mess with them. Where would I get a plug for them?

To get the bigger stuff off the bottom of your pool, you could use a leaf gulper (Amazon.com: Aqua Select Leaf Gulper Vacuum Cleaner for Swimming Pool with Brushes & Swivel Wheels: Gateway).

For fine stuff like algae, pollens, and such, the leaf gulper will just make the stuff get suspended in the water for a while so you'll need to either manually vacuum or get a robot with fine or ultra fine filters to pick up this stuff. Does your pool have a skimmer? Maybe this thread Coleman (Intex) filter vacuum attachment may help or this video

We had an intex 18x48 for 5 years and cleaning the bottom was definitely our biggest challenge. We had a rechargable pool vac we got from costco that lasted about 4 seasons. Intex sells one for about $60 but I feel like their reviews are sort of all over the place. We paid about $100 for ours and the reviews on it have slipped over the years as well, like so many products - and now it looks to be about $170. It was definitely worth it when it was working though!

If we go with Intex again we're going to probably install a skimmer, which would allow us to vacuum using the pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.