About to treat my Polaris like the printer in Office space

markayash

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
Tired of this thing working great one day and won't move the next and it was rebuilt last year..
I am leaning toward the s200 after reading through the post, only question is how does it treat sticks..I get small 4 to 6" long sticks often off the tree's..I sometimes get longer ones, assuming it would just run over those but will a small one clog up the suction side or damage it?

I think my polaris reads the forum, last night took it out and rolled the wheels backwards a few times and threw it back in and this morning the pool is spotless. It seems to get in a bind, thought about spraying the gears and belts with silicone spray?

Curious.. what is yours doing? My Polaris 360 has been churning along for 14 years.... I finally got rid of the repositioner gizmo, after going through two of them, it always got stuck. And they are not made to be serviced, so I can't seem to take it apart and lube the parts without destroying it. So what if my sweep does variations of the same basic figure 8.. it still gets 90% of the pool. And I'm brushing anyway.

Wheels seem to get locked on mine and it will stop moving even the water is flowing through the net and out the back. If i turn the wheels backwards a few turns they free up and move. Might last a week or 2 but will stop again.
May take it apart again, have used these for 20 years so rebuilt a few and getting pretty good at it ;) I did a complete rebuild last year with new bearings and its better but still acts up.
You removed the “ backup” valve? I have thought about doing that also. Tried to take apart but seems glued together.

Yeah.. the backup valve was just getting stuck in "backup" mode.. I would find the sweep suspended in the deep end, backing up forever.. I guess it liked the view. So I figured.. what the heck and I took it out. I had to tweaked the nozzle in the back to get give it better direction when it gets stuck on stairs.. now it runs fine. Yes, they appeared to be glued together. I thought of going at one with a hacksaw just to do exploratory surgery.. but its not high on my list of things to do.
wow you got 20 years! I would expect the plastic parts to just start to wear down and not align after that amount of time. I suppose I should lube mine.. but I really haven't done anything to it.

Yeah.. the backup valve was just getting stuck in "backup" mode.. I would find the sweep suspended in the deep end, backing up forever.. I guess it liked the view. So I figured.. what the heck and I took it out. I had to tweaked the nozzle in the back to get give it better direction when it gets stuck on stairs.. now it runs fine. Yes, they appeared to be glued together. I thought of going at one with a hacksaw just to do exploratory surgery.. but its not high on my list of things to do.
wow you got 20 years! I would expect the plastic parts to just start to wear down and not align after that amount of time. I suppose I should lube mine.. but I really haven't done anything to it.
No not the same one, i break down and buy a new one about every 6 or 7 years or after a rebuild. This is my 2nd house with a pool left old one and they had one here. Think i have purchased 3 new ones.
I may try removing the valve, thanks.

I took the valve out and installed a old swivel joint. Will see how it does. Now that you mentioned it mine hasn’t backed up in a while and it looked half way closed. Maybe this will help. I am trying to decide which if I want or need a new robot! $700 is a lot

I have debated a Robot for awhile. but given the free form shape of my pool I don't know what I would gain. Either way I will still have to brush. I thought hard about it when my booster pump motor went out last year, but I got a new motor for $100 and couldn't justify the cost difference for a robot. I kind feel like its newish technology so perhaps when the sweep and motor go out next time I'll reconsider.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have debated a Robot for awhile. but given the free form shape of my pool I don't know what I would gain. Either way I will still have to brush. I thought hard about it when my booster pump motor went out last year, but I got a new motor for $100 and couldn't justify the cost difference for a robot. I kind feel like its newish technology so perhaps when the sweep and motor go out next time I'll reconsider.
Robots can handle free form shaped pools just fine, generally.

Today I took my polaris apart and cleaned the gears. Had a little sand and plaster chips maybe from the last plaster?? But after a cleaning it seems to sound better when I spin the wheels..We will see..Can't convince myself to replace it yet and spend $700..When it breaks I will go robotic for sure :)

Today I took my polaris apart and cleaned the gears. Had a little sand and plaster chips maybe from the last plaster?? But after a cleaning it seems to sound better when I spin the wheels..We will see..Can't convince myself to replace it yet and spend $700..When it breaks I will go robotic for sure :)
Well done! did you take the backup gizmo out? If so, How are things running without it? Me neither on the robot.. the whole shebang will have to die, booster and sweep to justify the cost offset of upgrading tech. It really only takes 30min for my sweep to clean the pool, and so its timer is set that way. So the cost of power between the two is really a wash I figure. Also with everyone else upgrading to robots I am finding lots of used sweeps on the used pool parts market! I can get replacements parts for a song!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.