About to run out of liquid chlorine

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
I had a stash of liquid chlorine, but due to the shortages, about to run out. Have about 3 gallons left.
Don't want to use tabs with stabilizer in them.

Should I get granular chlorine in form of Sodium Dichloro-s-triazinetrione Dihydrate?
I could amazon it in couple days. What else does that add to my water other than chlorine? Any side effects?

Freaking chlorine, who would think there will be shortage.

Those bleaches are like 6% concentration, 3x the price of 1gal at home depot.
I can’t think of the brand at Walmart in Texas; but it’s $2 per gallon at 6%. Very popular in the Hispanic community so it’s always very fresh.
With that said, there’s a big thread about where to buy chlorine with non-traditional places. Ace Hardware, janitorial supply, Ollie’s, etc.

Does Austin have a Pinch a Penny pool store? they have their own liquid chlorine they sell in 2.5gal containers.

If your csi can take it you could get by with some cal hypo- it’s definitely more expensive than plain bleach though. It stores well so its nice to have as a backup.
also maybe try this tool👇

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had been buying 10% Pool Essentials from Walmart, but then one day in May, the usual huge quantities of $3.80 chlorine were gone. Once full shelves empty. There was a small sign there directing users of tabs (which had been unavailable) that a gallon of Pool Essentials was equivalent to some number of tabs. That finally pushed me to a Pentair IC-40 SWCG. Problem solved.

I can't seem to find it right now, but Tractor Supply used to stock "Online Pool Shock" (12.5%) and it was about $2 a gallon. I restocked back in June (if I recall) and they had limited supplies. Couldn't hurt to call the couple of stores in the Austin area. Here is what it looks like:
1631287394685.png

I had been buying 10% Pool Essentials from Walmart, but then one day in May, the usual huge quantities of $3.80 chlorine were gone. Once full shelves empty. There was a small sign there directing users of tabs (which had been unavailable) that a gallon of Pool Essentials was equivalent to some number of tabs. That finally pushed me to a Pentair IC-40 SWCG. Problem solved.
This is the sign I saw at Home Depot a couple of weeks back. This is driving the LC supply issues.
IMG_6154.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
I've picked up 40 gallons in the last week & can get you all you want. It's just a 30 hour drive from Austin!

Mine comes from a local chemical store that also supplies commercial pools. You might want to call some chemical distributers near you & see if they sell to the general public.

Last edited:
I've picked up 40 gallons in the last week & can get you all you want. It's just a 30 hour drive from Austin!

Mine comes from a local chemical store that also supplies commercial pools. You might want to call some chemical distributers near you & see if they sell to the general public.
There is a NAPCO distributor in north Houston (probably under 3hrs from Austin) that sells to general public 3 days a week at very good prices but need to purchase in 5gal containers.

There's always tons of it up here in OK. It'd be worth a call or a quick trip.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

Pool Essentials Pool Chlorinating Liquid (4-Pack)
SKU# 315233752

Yeah that po essentials chlorine in home depot goes out quicker than a college freshman after a glass of wine.
I am tracking their delivery but their dates change often.
I'll have to call around to see if I can buy bulk from local place.

Makes me think to look into swcg for sure though. Hope install is easy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.