About to fill but feel like I am going into a test without ever studying

Nov 9, 2015
McKinney,TX
They are going to spray the pebble tec tomorrow and I suppose acid wash the next hen begin the fill. I have not had any "pool school," from the company but do study here but now that I am about to add the water feel a bit overwhelmed.
Questions I have and grateful for the responses...

Is the Taylor Tech inc K-2006 test kit chlorine fas-dpd (on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002IXIJ0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1MK3EL1DZNNOE&psc=1) what I need? I have seen I also need salt testing strips or does this do it all?

-As far as what I do next? I read some helpful responses that include chlorine and others while I brush for the first 30 days but in Texas in February what do I need to be doing?

-Will have our kids Baptized in the pool on March 15th. should I be able to turn th eheat on and have chemistry set by then?

-Robot recommendations. I know I can find them on other links but any quick thoughts. I cancelled th polaris because of advice on the forum. When do I plug the robot in and let it start to work?

As always I appreciate all the advice.

The TFT-100 is the best value in test kit. If you get the Taylor then get the K-2006C. The C model has more of the reagents you will use.

Get the Taylor K-1766 Salt Test Kit.

You can’t run your heater for 14 days or wheeled cleaners in your pool for the first 28 days.

If your PB does not give you a startup guide for the first 30 days we can give you a link.

Last edited:
I second the TF-100. :goodjob: Great product and value. If you can, I'd also get the magnetic speedstir. :stirpot: It really makes testing easier. Spend some time in the TFP Pool School section menu to the left and read all of those areas - especially the ABCs of Water Chemistry. The more you know now the better you'll relate to what your PB is telling (or not telling) you. :) Congrats on the new pool! :swim:

A bit more on test kits. Test kits from Amazon sometimes come with old or expired reagents. Reagents are good for around two years. You don’t know what you may get. Ordering a TF-100 Test Kits yiu always get fresh reagents. You can also get the K-1766 Taylor Salt Test and Speedstir Magnetic Stirrer from TFT.

Review this https://mmgtx.com/docs/PTI-Start-Up-Maintenance-Procedures-Chlorine.pdf

Running your heater when pool water is below around 50 degrees is not recommended. Most heaters have a minimum water operating temperature. Reason is cold water flowing through the heater causes condensation thst mixes with flue gasses creating corrosive acid in the heater. Running the heater once with cold water to get the pool to temperature is not a problem. Repeated cycles with cold pool water can cause premature heater failure.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.