Abandoning booster pump return line

Grenademonkey543

Apr 5, 2019
Sacramento, CA
Hi all,

Recently my booster pump finally died and i happily became a new owner of a Pentair Warrior SE from Marina's Pool and Spa (basically Pentair branded S200)

I want to abandon the return line to the pool and remove the pump but am a bit unsure of the best way to proceed.

I could cap off the return in the pool or at the equipment pad but in both scenarios i have a concern around standing water in that line and algae growth. Correct me if i am wrong but it just won't mix as well with the pool water if i left it capped at the pad?

If i capped it at the pool, any good way to evacuate all the water from there? We live in N. California so freezing isn't an issue but i would still like to do something about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

P.S.if someone is on the market for a used Polaris 280 that's only 1 yr old, PM me.

You could pipe it to connect the two lines in to/out of the booster pump together and you would wind up with an extra return line.

GM,

I like Gene's idea.....

Another one is to use the line as a fill line if you don't have one. Just connect the line at the equipment pad to a hose bib.. You can use a simple mechanical timer so that it will shut itself off, or you can go whole hog and rig up an electric valve that you can control with Alexa.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you all! I am already spoiled with a autofill valve.

The reason for the abandonbent is due to a little fluke i did when replumbing for swg. I have a solar heater and if i have the solar on, i would loose quite a bit of pressure due to the cleaner T being before the solar valve and not after. I could of course run the pump a bit higher to compensate but it seems wasteful.

Seems like i might need to put up with a pool-side cap and leave the old pump in place, periodically "flushing it" by unscrewing the 2" cap in the pool and replumb properly later for an extra return

Last edited:
Yeah I would plumb it to do something. either a fill line, or tee it into your returns. If not it will be a place for algae growth to hide. I'm just on the other side of the valley from you and If I don't run my waterfalls every now and then I get algae hiding in the pipes and intakes. Perhaps turn it into one of the fountain water features. ;)

Picture of the plumbing from the install thread where my "oopsie" is shown:

Basically once the solar at the top closes to redirect all water to the roof, due to an "opening" available at the bottom of the vertical white pipe run at the T, some water wants to go through there. Even with the Polaris restrictor, it was still causing enough pressure drop to warrant higher pump RPMs - so during the summer IO either had the cleaner or the solar but not both ~ 2200 RPM, otherwise I would have to go 2400-2500 RPM. Obviously a mistake on my part and was something on my to-do list for the future, but if there's another way you can think of now - I am all ears. I guess I could use the drain bib of the solar as a return feed well during the summer months.

Does anyone know if 2" screw-in eyeballs are sold?

GM,

Another option would be to replace the booster pump with a ball valve and leave the pipe open at the pool.. This would allow you to flush the line every now and again.. Since it would be open to fresh water at one end, I don't think you would have to flush it but once a month...

Thanks,

Jim R.

GM,

Another option would be to replace the booster pump with a ball valve and leave the pipe open at the pool.. This would allow you to flush the line every now and again.. Since it would be open to fresh water at one end, I don't think you would have to flush it but once a month...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I love it! I think that will be the first thing I will attempt - beats screwing in and out the cap. Thank you very much for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.