AA treatment questions

Don't do it. At least not now if you want to guarantee you'll be swimming in the next week(I lost 2 weeks). I followed this to a T (twice) only to have stains return a few weeks later. Metal Magic now has them at bay. And I will drain and fill a few time prior to close to get the metal out.

I'd honestly wait until you're ready to close, do the AA, drain the water to remove metals, fill(repeat as needed), balance then close it. Otherwise, I'd assume the stains will be back by opening.

Now if you have well water that's a different story.

Ok did the AA treatment and wow pool looks great bring back up levels currently have
PH 7.0
Alk 120
FC 3
CYA 40-45
However my CC is like 2.5-3 is this a concern or should I just wait and see once the demand from the AA is all out? Pool is crystal clear and all stains gone except a few cooper stains from a couple hair pins someone dropped on bottom.

Wait and see on the CC ;)
Stay on top that FC in the mean time.

The biggest problem people have successfully coming out of the AA treatment is not maintaining to normal [fc/cya][/FC/cya] and then having stains come ack when tey try to fight the start of alad.

Also be sure to maintain your sequestrant either on a schedule or the second you see a yellowing tinge on white steps, for example.

Thanks swampwoman, I'll say I've also added a bunch of algecide 60 during this process but it also took about 2.75lbs per 10,000 gallons of AA to lift stains, liner is 15 years old, I'll stay on top of the FC and keep at min for my Cya until it holds and plan to keep PH at or around 7.0 for awhile

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well it's been a week and all the stains are gone and I managed to keep the pool clear and free of algae, I admit I did a variation of things and it seemed to work just did a total test and here's numbers
FC 4.5
CC 0
ALK 90
PH 7.0
CAL 175
CYA 40

I have no drop over night or any CC but seem to using 1 gallon of 8.25% bleach a day, before I stated the treatment I was using around 48-64 oz a day. wonder if there's still a hint of AA in pool, I had to use 2.75lbs per 10,000 gallons to lift all stains, or I'm questing my CYA level I've tested several times and always get between 40-42, had pool store test and they got 28, I'm more inclined to trust my readings but......
All in all very pleased with results and it made my 15 year old liner look like new, wouldn't have had any success without stumbling onto this site, it has been a huge help!

Steve

First 2 days hourly, and when they say it takes ALOT of chlorine it takes ALOT, mine took about 30 gallons of 8.25% bleach, and I cheated a little with my rainbow 320 over night, I set that on 1-1 1/2 to maintain then shut off and added only beach during the day, I started adding bleach about 4-6 hours after the treatment, you will be amazed how quickly the stains go away it's truly something to see, I also added twice the dose per day of the algaecide 60 while I let the FC to 0 and during the process until it started to hold, I also added about 1/2-3/4 lb of DE in sand filter to help filter the AA out, I had to use a bunch of AA to lift stains, some of the stains where 4 years old. As a side note I just ordered more powder and R-0871 you will want to have plenty of hand, I tested FC, CC, and PH hourly, seemed like I added about a gallon of bleach and 12-16 of MA an hour for the first 18 hours then it backed off on demand, be sure you are willing to babysit and test, test test before you start the process, although a long process it was very much worth it, I literly have a new pool to look at now, I was considering a new liner just because it looked so univiting, but not now!!!
Good luck should you decide to do it. For me it was well worth it!

This whole process now has me looking at going to a Stenner injection pump, I'm sold on TFP methods my pool in 16 seasons hasn't looked as good as it does right now!

No, you wont see any iron deposits, my understanding is the metals are lifted by the AA and then the sequestrate keep the metals suspended in the water, so once lifted you must keep adding sequestrate or they will re attach to you pool surface, I'm sure an expert can chime and tell me if I'm incorrect in my statement.

I don't think the metals can be filtered out unless they are staining your liner and skimmer etc. Once they are treated with AA and or sequestered I don't think they can be removed. I'm not sure about any of this and would like someone who knows to give us a definitive answer.

Mine as well. Unless you want to keep adding sequest from now until eternity, you'll have to drain and fill to get rid of the metals in the water.

I've been through this earlier in the year before I found this site and lost the pool for a few weeks. Only to have stains reappear a few weeks later because I didn't have enough sequest in the water. I've been adding a qt a week and stains have lifted again except on the walls. To make matters worse I realized the metal is getting in from rusty bolts on my SS ladder. (New Saftron ladder just arrived). Between the AA, Sequest, Polyquat and all the Cl used to bring the Cl up since the end of May. The early year AA treatment cost me over $350 dollars.

I really think the AA guide needs to be amended to discuss the need for sequest maintenance until pool is drained off. I know it says this in the pool school but I feel people may miss this important point if they just find the post.

I want to enjoy the last few weeks of the season. Once September rolls around, the old ladder comes out, AA treatment happens, As soon as stains are gone, immediately the drain and refill until metals test below acceptable levels, Rebalance water and let stabilize for a week or so and then close the pool.

I really think the AA guide needs to be amended to discuss the need for sequest maintenance until pool is drained off. I know it says this in the pool school but I feel people may miss this important point if they just find the post.

TFP also needs to address the issue of how and when to filter out iron and if there are any sequestrants that enable filtering or if there are any ways to flock the metal particles out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.