Annapolis,MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
We opened the pool last week to start clean up the pool. I have been losing at least 3-4 inches of water a day. We opened the main drain to start circulating the water. The water guy came and topped me off the next day. It has been leaking for the last 7 days, even past the winterization point. I think something is wrong with the main drain. I cut everything off and it is still leaking.
I called a leak company.. they want $850.00 just to come out. Does anybody have any ideas? I have to clear up the water before they come also. I am thinking of maybe just draining it, clean it and wash it. Repair titles and leaks. HELP.

IMG_0162.jpegIMG_0121.jpeg

If the leak is underground you need specialized tools like in the site below to locate it.

Thanks, somebody suggested the check valve in the main drain may have debris in it and to blow it out. I will try that tomorrow.

I am thinking of buying a pool pump and used filter so I can clean the water. Nobody can do anything in dirty water.

Since you have a DE filter, have you checked the multi valve to make sure it is not leaking and sending some of your water to waste?

Have you plugged the skimmers and all returns... and its still losing water? If so yes the hydro valves in the main drain can get debris in it and be open and or the oring can fail, but the only way to know is to pressure test the main drain line and or dive and remove and replace (which you need dive gear to do it).

I built a pressure tester last year from PVC pipe and a couple of fittings. It allows you to hook a garden hose to the pipe you want to test then pressurize it with water (there is a gauge on the device). Once pressurized you can also add compressed air to see if there are any bubbles or if you can hear any air. But really you need special ultrasonic listening devices to hear underground leaks.

Let me know as I can send you a picture of what I made. It cost about $20 in parts.

And as noted above leaking filter to waste.

Reactions: damon5683
The first pic shows water level about where the bottom of your skimmer would be. Depending on brand and plumbing, there could be a pipe connection in the bottom that is plugged during normal use. I have seen that plug deteriorate and leak or be accidentally removed at start-up, which will drain it down to about that level. Just a thought.

Reactions: damon5683
Have you plugged the skimmers and all returns... and its still losing water? If so yes the hydro valves in the main drain can get debris in it and be open and or the oring can fail, but the only way to know is to pressure test the main drain line and or dive and remove and replace (which you need dive gear to do it).

I built a pressure tester last year from PVC pipe and a couple of fittings. It allows you to hook a garden hose to the pipe you want to test then pressurize it with water (there is a gauge on the device). Once pressurized you can also add compressed air to see if there are any bubbles or if you can hear any air. But really you need special ultrasonic listening devices to hear underground leaks.

Let me know as I can send you a picture of what I made. It cost about $20 in parts.

Can you send me the picture?

It would be good to post a pic here - others may be interested as well :)

I have somebody coming today to look at the main drain. Looks like it is the drain if it is, I will just close it off.
and use the skimmers. I am going to wash it and replace the light while everything is low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.