A spare spigot

Jul 11, 2016
Pleasanton, CA
I have replaced our water-driven pool cleaner with an electric robot. The connector on the pool wall is now unused and that presents an opportunity. What kinds of things could I consider attaching to it? And if "fountain" is the only answer, fair enough -- what do I need to know about installing a fountain in my pool?

Just for clarification, I'm guessing that was a dedicated pressure cleaner (e.g. Polaris) line, and it's plumbed on a dedicated line all the way back to the equipment pad?

So if converting it to a return, you could add an eyeball or other jet to improve circulation in the pool. You could add a venturi and make it a bubbler of sorts. You could add a cooling or other fountain as you mention. You could rig up a pipe inside the pool then up above the surface with a laminar jet on the end of it and make an arc of water. You could maybe dig down and use the line to supply water to a slide, or up through the water and above to the slide. Likewise to a water feature of some kind. It might be possible to use it as part of a solar heating system added to the pool.

Essentially you would put a Tee somewhere on your return line at the pad, and connect that pipe (that used to go to your Polaris) into the tee. A picture of your setup will get you better advice, that's for sure. At the pool, you would need to add a return eyeball to restrict flow and give you options for directing the water.

Thanks to all who have helped me with this opportunity. I have attached photos of the now-open valve in our pool and of our equipment. I am not looking to perform any significant retrofits or conversions; ideally, I would like to be attracted to a project that involves my hooking up something to that valve and then configuring it with our iAquaLink. Would that it be so simple...

Attachments

• equipment.jpg
    equipment.jpg
    423.9 KB · Views: 37
  • valve.jpg
    valve.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 37
I did the same thing and replaced my water driven cleaner with a robot cleaner. My water was getting so warm in the summer that I built a water jet to cool the water somewhat at night. Seems to work

Attachments

• AC6A2FB3-2D6C-4AB0-B0CC-82B05DA56B8F.jpeg
    AC6A2FB3-2D6C-4AB0-B0CC-82B05DA56B8F.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 8AA5D4BB-9654-4F88-A2C7-46BADEB9AB41.jpeg
    8AA5D4BB-9654-4F88-A2C7-46BADEB9AB41.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: needsajet
Hello, I have an update on this thread...

I have removed the Polaris from our pool, and in its place, I installed a simple fountain. When I activate the cleaner valve in iAquaLink (haven’t renamed it yet), everything works: water flows through that valve and when connected properly, the fountain creates a nice spray.

However, the pump is really loud. I know the increase in volume associated with running the Polaris and this ain’t it. This is angry loud. This is something’s-not-right loud. Can anyone speculate on any changes that would need to be made to the pump configuration to run a fountain instead of a cleaner?

Hello, I have removed the Polaris from our pool, and in its place, I installed a simple fountain. When I activate the "Cleaner" valve in iAquaLink (haven’t renamed it yet), everything works: water flows through that valve and when connected properly, the fountain creates a nice spray.

However, the pump is really loud. I know the increase in volume associated with running the Polaris and this ain’t it. This is angry loud. This is something’s-not-right loud. Can anyone speculate on any changes that would need to be made to the pump configuration to run a fountain instead of a cleaner?

Rick, your DIY fountain is probably creating too much pressure for the pump. It has too much of a restriction.

Without your fountain in the outlet does the pump sound normal?

Post some pics of what you rigged up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Many thanks for all of these comments; they are all just a bit beyond my understanding. But to Jimmy's question, yes, the booster pump does kick on with the fountain and I have searched through my iAquaLink app for any place where I can disable it, to no avail. In an offline convo, someone suggested that I install a "ball valve," but I have no idea what that is.

Does the fountain need a booster pump? I suspect not. How do I disable the booster pump, so it does not turn on when I activate the fountain circuit?

i would need better pics of your equipment pad to help, you have alot going on in the one pic you posted. but basically you want the returns to all work and be open, I suspect the 3way valve with the powered actuator is partially/fully closing off the returns and leaving just the cleaner port open with the booster pump on. you no longer need it. I dont see in your signature any of the details of your automation brands or equipment, they are all different so some details will go a long way to help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.