08 May 2024 Update : Starting to look like a pool

06 May 2024: Slogging through, close eye on quality

Making great progress today. Another 5-man crew with only one new guy. I think we're going to have most of the bulk work complete today. Edge trim tile and the 32'x4' black wall tile on the back of the infinity wall are on the docket for tomorrow. We completed preliminary grading Saturday so we've now got room for paver delivery - hoping for tomorrow. This will change the look tremendously. Everything on the patio will be removed and we'll have the new patio floor with the same leather surface marble (white/grey/silverish) all the way out to surround the pool. Paver work can be 7-10 days including prep. While all that happens I will be getting equipment/plumbing/electrical/controls in prep for the electric and pool barrier inspection that's required before water is added. Photos from today below.

Chris

1715077682958.jpeg

1715077733145.jpeg

1715077789735.jpeg

07 May 2024: Update Owners Must Take Accountability

A couple of incidents have happened in the past few days that are worth mentioning here. I believe all owners whether OB or using a PB should take ultimate responsibility for safety and quality. Some day PB certification will be more stringent and they will be more consistent with quality. But that's not where we are now. The only difference between an OB is how you address/rectify. For safety, if there's time without direct intervention I would have the "person in charge" take corrective action. If that person's not there or there is immediate danger of an injury I take action immediately by shutting down the operation, explain corrective action then let them resume, warned. Safety Example: young man without safety glasses using a grinder. Simply ask him to stop and point out glasses needed then follow up with crew leader. Easy, peasy. If it happens again limit his role or terminate him. Quality Example: I noticed yesterday a different brand of thin set in the stack. I had checked the other brand technical documentation and found it's correct use. So I checked the different bag. Technical documents are readily available online. Turns out the product is a quality brand and usable outside/inside but specifically excluded for pools. So I showed the crew the documents and why it's prohibited. This morning the bags were still there so I required they remove it from site. No need to tempt fate. How did this happen? These guys work for many different pool builders that vary greatly in quality. I'm quite certain I've seen pools under construction with these same "NOT FOR POOLS" documentation. Many craft labor will say "I do this all the time for PB's". I'm sure it's true but not for the really good PB's and there are many, more not good PB's unfortunately. Also, it's much easier to get since it's available from big box stores. The approved brands may be also sometimes available but I haven't found them in construction quantities any place other than pool product distributors.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Last edited:
Quality Example: I noticed yesterday a different brand of thin set in the stack. I had checked the other brand technical documentation and found it's correct use. So I checked the different bag. Technical documents are readily available online. Turns out the product is a quality brand and usable outside/inside but specifically excluded for pools. So I showed the crew the documents and why it's prohibited. This morning the bags were still there so I required they remove it from site. No need to tempt fate. How did this happen? These guys work for many different pool builders that vary greatly in quality. I'm quite certain I've seen pools under construction with these same "NOT FOR POOLS" documentation. Many craft labor will say "I do this all the time for PB's". I'm sure it's true but not for the really good PB's and there are many, more not good PB's unfortunately. Also, it's much easier to get since it's available from big box stores. The approved brands may be also sometimes but I haven't found them in construction quantities any place other than pool product distributors.

And the evidence is long gone by the time the homeowner sees tile problems.

The sub contracting model makes quality control much more difficult. Even Boeing discovered that.

On the thinset issue I suspect that the subs don’t typically carry a lot of inventory on consumable items like that. They probably run out on a job and then send one of their guys to the local hardware store to get something similar. That’s how the bag ends up on their truck. And since most homeowners aren’t as observant as you and PBs generally only care about the schedule being met, substandard materials are used as replacements and the subs develop the attitude of “it’s ok on other jobs…”

07 May 2024 Update Mucho Progresso!

Even though they are working one man down today we have a lot of progress! Grout has started - Charcoal Black and it's gorgeous! We'll have almost all the beam tile in at quitting time today. Should be finished or very close to finished tomorrow. A few tiles on the step edges/accents and about half the grout are all that remains. Also we started on the 6x6 tile on the back wall yesterday and it's over half finished now. Since we're close to finishing tile we took delivery of the pavers, about 1900 sq ft including the patio which amounted to a little over 14 pallets (last photo).

I have to get the controls working asap so @Katodude I'll be PM'ing you I'm sure!

This was a pretty good day of progress!

Chris

1715115103977.jpeg

1715115166758.jpeg

1715115203493.jpeg

1715116168979.jpeg

08 May 2024 Update : Starting to look like a pool

Folks,

We had 3- 4man crews yesterday. Got about 1/3 of the pavers done and almost all the tile. Unfortunately the lead tile guy got in a wreck on the way to work so we're a little behind on tile. But tile is no longer on the critical path since pavers and the needed little retaining wall are CP activities now and will take about 5 more days.

Chris
1715251624105.jpeg

Nice accents our tile guy suggested at the last minute
1715251713992.jpeg

1715251803233.jpeg

Attachments

• 1715251750529.jpeg
    1715251750529.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Love
Reactions: kimkats and Newdude

Enjoying this content?