Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Folks,

This is the start of a thread that I expect will take a year or so to complete. We're finally getting to build a new house and pool exactly the way we want to. I think a little context is in order up front here since it will drive a lot of the pool decisions. My job has been to manage large construction projects around the world and we've ended up living wherever we could find something "reasonable and close". So the house and pool (if there was one) was never really designed to complement each other. Then we did a 6 year sailing adventure living mostly year-round on the boat somewhere in the Caribbean and the ocean was our pool. After that we bought a home with a pool in Florida and we love it here but need another adventure. Since joining TFP I've followed many owner build threads with great interest since I knew this would likely be part of our next adventure. That day has come. We sold our house last week and closed on our new property two weeks ago. So our next adventure will be to OB the house and pool. We really want this pool design to be integrated with the home and site not just added in as an afterthought. We are getting close to complete with the architectural design and next step will be to meet with a pool design company and and do this collaboratively with the architect. The home is on about 1/2 acre and looks out over a lake between two holes on the golf course. So it seems to make sense to put a pool behind the house that has an infinity edge that overflows to the lake. Our site is elevated a good 15' above the lake and about 200' away. Does an infinity edge sound right for this situation? And can you please comment on the pluses and minuses of an infinity edge? The pool will be covered with a screen enclosure that also encloses the patio. The back of the house faces roughly west. I'll add some photos and drawings after we get the next rendition from the architect.

Thanks.

Chris

You’ve more than earned some karma points to aid you in your new journey !!!

CongratuDANGlations and you know we will all be on the edge of our seats rooting for you.

And you also know the fondness for pics, so no reason to start slouching now. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: Wolfepack88
OH CHIRS!!! I am SO happy for you!!! Sounds like you have found a sweet piece of land to put some good roots down on!

Where are you living while it is all being built?

Infinity edge=SO neat and pretty looking. Also=big extra money (build and equipment). Some thing else you could do is an knife edge. Many examples on google. It is VERY neat looking as well. It many also add some $$$ to the build but both would be worth it in my mind as this is going to be YOUR home!

Can you share a pic of the lot?

Reactions: setsailsoon
Great project Chris! I look forward to following along and providing only modestly helpful thoughts along the way. Our future plans could involve a home on the intracoastal or other waterway near the ocean, though I suspect not a new build, but who knows. I wouldn’t foresee myself putting in an infinity edge pool, though I think they look awesome. My main reasons would be the same that I didn’t go with something as simple as deck jets for our pool. It‘s adds points of failure and no function (except maybe really good skimming but your screen house will be key there). We hope to travel a fair amount, possibly for longer periods of time, and the less to go wrong while away would be my main concern. All that said, they are so cool looking and, in the right environment, help the pool to blend into the setting. And, if I stood in your future pool, resting my arms on the edge, looking out at the lake, this conversation may be totallly different. That happened to me once. I never wanted a pool. It was always something my DW talked about. Then we spent a 4th of July weekend in Atlanta for an 80th birthday. In hindsight, that was an expensive weekend.

Reactions: setsailsoon
@DB-Cooper has a reverse knife edge and is still my personal gold standard for what can be done to a pool. (His build is in his signature)

Reading about Infinity Edge pools...

Vanishing Edges 101

Avoiding the Pitfalls of Vanishing-Edge Pool Construction

Where are you going to live during the build?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Allen, I thought you were asking where he is going to livestream the build. Which is also a valid question.

Allen, I thought you were asking where he is going to livestream the build. Which is also a valid question.

I would like a drone in the air during construction that streams it on Twitter.

Chris, I'm having a hard time understanding the infinity edge with the cage. Is the side facing the water open ? Or is the view half of infinity, the screen, and then the other half of infinity?

@DB-Cooper has a reverse knife edge and is still my personal gold standard for what can be done to a pool. (His build is in his signature)
Thanks. Yeah real happy I went with it. In reality, an infinity wouldn’t have worked for me, kids would’ve floated over constantly on floating devices.

Reactions: Newdude
Folks,

Thanks much for all the replies. We're very, very early so not a lot of detail yet and perfect time to get this kind of input. Here are some replies to the questions:
  • Photo's of lot are attached. Not much to look at yet since it hasn't been cleared yet and there's a lot of invasive Brazilian Peppers on the left and in the back. This will all be cleared soon to expose the views of the golf green on the left and lake.
  • We should get layout drawings of the house next week and I'll add a post with them as soon as I can get it. We're trying to incorporate floor to ceiling glass in a large section of the back to overlook the pool and lake... difficult with our windstorm loading and no shutters.
  • I've done but beg for permission to get a boat do live on during construction. Would be great to be able to take a short hop over to the Bahama's when we need a break. "No way, been there done that!" is the only response I get. Can't complain since we already did live on a boat for 25K miles of sailing already. I'll try begging next.
  • I'm not sure how to deal with a screen and infinity edge. May need to be a knife edge inside the screen or something like that. Screen is an absolute must so we have to figure out a way to deal with it and structural requirements to meet code for wind storms. Maybe pool designer will have something for us on this (next week or two).
Chris
View from street. Not much to look at right now. All the pepper trees will be removed soon.
1616326795525.png

If you walk straight back from the street along the right side you come to the cart path and can see the green to the left plus the lake straight behind:

1616341569359.png

Here's another view straight behind the house. Cart path flow is left to right:
\
1616341680008.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support