08 May 2024 Update : Starting to look like a pool

Thanks Kim,

The house architect loved the pool as well. The pool designer is very familiar with knife edges and infinity edge. I'm the builder so my focus will be to ensure the subs are qualified and understand. This is definitely going to require extra interface management! The only change I've identified so far is on the steps. I don't like the edge of the steps this way. Prefer they connect as a triangle across the corner or and octagon or even are recessed beside the sun deck. What do you think?

Chris

So are you contracting your own pool? I see the DIY logo in the corner of you pics. Or is a local builder following the plans? who does the site work then?
Yes, I'm an Owner Builder for the house and pool. I interviewed and got quotes from 3 designers. DIY won easily for my overall selection criteria and were about middle of pack on cost. I will sub out the site work but it will be rough-graded by the site formation contractor for the house. I've made sure the pool excavation contractor has adequate access but I really don't want them to start until the house shell contractor is complete.

Chris

Nice very nice. I was my contractor for my home cause my dad’s buddies and my buddies are all in the trade. Was nice having total control. Plus having people build ur house who were there for you baby the pay check vs strangers. I was blessed for that. Same with my build. My builder was my dads cousin. And then I took over for wverything else myself and with my guts again.

good luck with it. So how does diy pools work. They do the plans and u go find the subs?

Yes, I'm an Owner Builder for the house and pool. I interviewed and got quotes from 3 designers. DIY won easily for my overall selection criteria and were about middle of pack on cost. I will sub out the site work but it will be rough-graded by the site formation contractor for the house. I've made sure the pool excavation contractor has adequate access but I really don't want them to start until the house shell contractor is complete.

Chris
Also make sure ur water control forcthe house is under control so you don’t flood out the back yard working on the pool. Before my gutters were on water management off my roofs was a bear. And you can’t get gutters on till the outside is completely finished but you also need to keep water away from you foundation and that doesn’t leave a lot of places to move water except front and back yard. Till you can get ur water removed properly.

This sounds like a planned, long-term home, so wonder if you want provisions for a handrail into the pool. You may not need it now, but long term... Ask me how I know. :)

Reactions: Newdude
I really like the design. Important to have it centered on those three posts. Any way to only have two posts?

I understand the step issue. One aspect is the idea of having angular versus rounded steps to keep the full vibe of the pool going. I will note that our round stairs, which are flanked by benches at the second step, don't seem too out of place in a rectangular pool. But I'd understand if you wanted no curves. Will the steps be in a position where you can step down from the sun deck? It's a little hard to tell from the first picture.

I like the symmetry of it and recessing the steps behind the sun deck wouldn't be my first choice.

I would also consider adding a deep-end step/ledge, if there aren't any. Ours are two level. I would have preferred the second level to be about 6" lower. I believe ours is about 32-36" deep, but I think 42" would be a great standing height. Possibly a bit deeper if your family is tall. I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'2".

Nice very nice. I was my contractor for my home cause my dad’s buddies and my buddies are all in the trade. Was nice having total control. Plus having people build ur house who were there for you baby the pay check vs strangers. I was blessed for that. Same with my build. My builder was my dads cousin. And then I took over for wverything else myself and with my guts again.

good luck with it. So how does diy pools work. They do the plans and u go find the subs?
Jim,
Thanks, and I agree it's nicer to be directly working with the subs. My whole career was project management so I'm pretty comfortable with it.

DIY has been great so far. We've progressed to the first set of preliminary design documents and so far the do everything they commit to and do it on time. They deliver a lot more than design. They can help with all aspects of pool construction. Their questionnaire for getting started is extremely detailed and it's obvious that there's a lot of experience behind it. I exchanged several emails and had a virtual meeting with them before committing. They guarantee their permit package will be approved or they will correct it for free. They also use a local structural engineering company to stamp the design documents. There are a lot of other things that I liked as I researched them. I'm optimistic this will be a great part of my project.

Chris

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really like the design. Important to have it centered on those three posts. Any way to only have two posts?

I understand the step issue. One aspect is the idea of having angular versus rounded steps to keep the full vibe of the pool going. I will note that our round stairs, which are flanked by benches at the second step, don't seem too out of place in a rectangular pool. But I'd understand if you wanted no curves. Will the steps be in a position where you can step down from the sun deck? It's a little hard to tell from the first picture.

I like the symmetry of it and recessing the steps behind the sun deck wouldn't be my first choice.

I would also consider adding a deep-end step/ledge, if there aren't any. Ours are two level. I would have preferred the second level to be about 6" lower. I believe ours is about 32-36" deep, but I think 42" would be a great standing height. Possibly a bit deeper if your family is tall. I'm 5'7" and my wife is 5'2".

Thanks for the reply and details. You're right I was a little worried about round steps but they look pretty nice in your rectangular pool. I do like a triangular in the corner and so far that or moving it beside the sundeck is the leading contender (not behind).

We want to preserve as much of the swim lane for laps and we're thinking 4' in the shallow end and 7' in the deep end to help with this.

Great point you make on the columns. I asked them to center it on the opening to the living room doors and that lined it up the way it is. I'll love the idea to remove a post so I'll also look into removing one but I think this is pretty expensive.

Thanks much for the time you put into this!

Chris

Reactions: bmoreswim
So, I dont see a pool cage? Have you nixed that idea?

I also dont see an outdoor kitchen?
Good eyes and memory! They're working on the cage and the outdoor kitchen is in the house plan drawings but was added after the plan drawings I sent to them. It will be on the left as you enter the house from the pool.

Ok. Gotcha. You are used to pool cages so you know what to expect in terms of sight lines and how it will affect your view.

So, the kitchen is going to be where the dining room table is? Or is it going to jut out from that section parallel to the side of the house. My advice is go as big as you can on the outdoor kitchen. My experience is you cant build it big enough or nice enough, so stretch.

Ok. Gotcha. You are used to pool cages so you know what to expect in terms of sight lines and how it will affect your view.

So, the kitchen is going to be where the dining room table is? Or is it going to jut out from that section parallel to the side of the house. My advice is go as big as you can on the outdoor kitchen. My experience is you cant build it big enough or nice enough, so stretch.
It's actually going to be on the left side against the wall as you enter the sliding glass doors. We have power for the exhaust fan and a roof penetration shown on other drawings. I got your point though, think big! Thanks. Also, I had a question back at you. Where do you get propane under $3. Best price we've gotten is $3.29 and that usually goes up to $3.99 in peak season which they say is winter. I have no idea why propane is so expensive in Florida but it appears to be the highest in the country. It's not going to change whether we go propane since we need it for the generator. But it may affect other stuff like heat pump vs gas, solar, and pool cover.

Chris

Ferrel Gas. They tend to send out coupons. Every now and then Amerigas. You can play one off of the other. You have to time it right. Also get a big tank, since there is a $40 charge every time you fill up. Also the bigger the tank the more time you have between fill ups and can wait for the right deal.

Folks,

A quick update. We've had the pool on the back burner after completing preliminary design so we can focus on finalizing construction drawings and bid packages for the house. Once we get shell pricing for the house we'll make the final decision on project timing. So far, lumber prices have tanked at the wholesale level but that probably won't show up at distributors for a couple months. Steel and cement has leveled off but at extremely high levels. Steel is still 3X normal. In the meantime Robin is trying to sort our pavers for the pool surround that need to work with the driveway and exterior house colors which include a very light grey for the body with kind of navy blue trim. I'll try to get some photos of the colors to post, then we need to decide final colors for the pool knife edge tiles and plaster.

Who'd of thunk that I'd end up doing this project in the most volatile commodity pricing on record! Lumber peaked at 5X normal, 3X for steel, aluminum and I think about the same for cement. Only good news last year was oil prices actually went negative for a while! How bizarre is that? Didn't last long though. If push comes to shove we'll do a hold but I don't do lines very well and delays to my project would be a LOT worse than lines.

Fingers crossed...

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support