A little overwhelmed!

tombuser

Dec 13, 2023
Greenville, SC, USA
I found this post because I searched for "Overwhelmed"
Been a home / pool owner for 2 seasons ... and have been doing the Leslies "here's my water, rake me over the coals" method of pool care.
I bought the TestKits ... downloaded Pool math (do I need to buy the subscription to enter in multiple readings?) and plugged in test results ... and I get this is low, this is good, etc...
Im not sure where to go next with the data from pool math to "how much of this or that do I put in when" and whats next after that ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Tom and Welcome !!!

(do I need to buy the subscription to enter in multiple readings?)
Yes the premium version ($8/year, woohoo) saves multiple logs and the free version only one. Or you can delete it every time and save the latest results.

But we can see the history on premium and can often reverse engineer a problem you have, or see it coming and stop it before it happens. It's worth every of the 800 pennies.
Im not sure where to go next with the data from pool math to "how much of this or that do I put in when" and whats next after that ...
Post up your results, all the pool details and what's confusing you. :)

Reactions: Bperry
I bought the TestKits
Which kit model?

do I need to buy the subscription
You don't need to, but it's nice.

Im not sure where to go next with the data from pool math
Post a full set of test data here and we'll point you in the right direction.

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
(Salt if applicable)

how much of this or that do I put in when
Go to the menu and select "Effects of Adding". Do you have an accurate pool volume?

Fill out your signature when you have a minute.

Reactions: newdude
Hey Tom and Welcome !!!

Yes the premium version ($8/year, woohoo) saves multiple logs and the free version only one. Or you can delete it every time and save the latest results.

But we can see the history on premium and can often reverse engineer a problem you have, or see it coming and stop it before it happens. It's worth every of the 800 pennies.

Post up your results, all the pool details and what's confusing you. :)
Wow! I didnt realize $8 a year ... I feel silly. Purchased.
Thanks for the replies. Ill do more test results and upload ... Thanks!!

Wow! I didnt realize $8 a year ... I feel silly. Purchased.
Thanks for the replies. Ill do more test results and upload ... Thanks!!
Thanks for linking your PM logs to your ID. This way we can see the historical results Right now the only data is from Dec.

There is one more ask - it is really helpful for everyone that replies to your requests- Please Create Your Signature to help us understand what your current setup is and this will help responders to quickly see your equipment and pool details without having to keeping asking for the information.
refer to mine as one example or see others for guidance as well.

I Have some test results for today ... and the water is starting to turn a little green
I have a salt system, and know I need to throw salt in, but pool math doesnt say to add any salt, or I missed it
Also which one of these do I address first?
0.5 FC - 7.5 pH - 60 TA - 100 CH - 0 CYA
FC is off and says to add shock and / or bleach.
CYA says to add stabilizer
Thanks in advance!!

I have a salt system, and know I need to throw salt in, but pool math doesnt say to add any salt, or I missed it
Go to the settings and 'track salt'. Then it will appear, the salt setting is off by default.

What was your salt reading ?
Also which one of these do I address first?
0.5 FC - 7.5 pH - 60 TA - 100 CH - 0 CYA
Get 3 ppm FC in there stat.

You can't be sure about CYA under 30 so add 15 ppm of granuals in a sock, carrot on a stick like, in front of a running return. After a while (or even tomorrow) it will be mush and squeeze out. Give the CYA a full day to register and repeat the 15ppm if necessary.

Pay closer attention to the FC until the CYA is up. Without it the sun will burn off the FC in a couple hours.

Thanks!! Enabled that now and will do the salt test. How do I determine my target salt level - is it always 3200 ppm or is different based on gallons?
And poolmath says to add 88oz or 2 quarts, 3 cups. Is that using the bags of shock?
you mention 3 ppm FC ... not sure how that adds up, do I multiply that by my 17K gallons?

Sorry for all the questions ...

Thanks!! Enabled that now and will do the salt test. How do I determine my target salt level - is it always 3200 ppm or is different based on gallons?
It is measured in units of PPM so that accounts for volume. Add salt until your salt reading is 3200ppm Remember that each drop is 200ppm so there is an error of +/-200ppm so anywhere from 3000 to 3400ppm is good.
Also measure salt with the drop kit and not with the SWCG salt monitor.

And poolmath says to add 88oz or 2 quarts, 3 cups. Is that using the bags of shock?
No thats liquid chlorine. 88 fluid ounces or 2 quarts and 3 cups. I get something different for 3ppm FC in 17k gallons in poolmath. What % chlorine are you using ?

For chlorine, it never needs to be exact, so eyeballing is fine. I always use the quarts as my reference. With 4 qts a gallon, 2.75 quarts is almost 3/4 a gallon.
Sorry for all the questions ..
We literally come here to help people. Lit. Er. A. Lly. :ROFLMAO: THANKS for helping us have something to do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
you mention 3 ppm FC ... not sure how that adds up, do I multiply that by my 17K gallons?
Add liquid chlorine (LC). The setting on PM app calls out "bleach" but that is LC.
You can change the dropdown to whatever chemical so just ensure it states bleach.

There is also a Effects of Adding - it is on the hamburger menu on top left. You can select bleach and then see how much x amount of bleach increases the FC by ppm.

Update ... the pool water looks great, and the Ph and Chlorine look much better. but now I think I need to address the CYA / Cyanuric Acid
when doing the CYA black dot tube test it never goes away, so I recorded it as 0.
Im seeing discussions on dry vs. liquid stabilizer and a sock method ...
Poolmath says I need to add 3 gallons of liquid stabilizer ... seems like a lot ...

Update ... the pool water looks great, and the Ph and Chlorine look much better. but now I think I need to address the CYA / Cyanuric Acid
when doing the CYA black dot tube test it never goes away, so I recorded it as 0.
Im seeing discussions on dry vs. liquid stabilizer and a sock method ...
Poolmath says I need to add 3 gallons of liquid stabilizer ... seems like a lot ...

You want 35 ppm of CYA in your 17,000 gallon pool

If the liquid CYA was 100% CYA (which it is not) you would need 0.6 gallons to get to 35 ppm, just by math.

Use dry CYA. Liquid is a little easier, but a LOT more expensive.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.